You are here:

Credit Repair/Account in Collection


Hi Chris,

I need some advice on a collection that is on my credit report.
The Collection is on a ComED from 4 years ago that was left un-noticed.  
Now I see this collection ($400) being reported on my credit report by 2 different collection agencies.
What should I do to fix this situation?
Do I call ComED itself and pay the past due balance?
I'm not sure what to do, as I don't see it being fair that I would have to pay 2 separate creditors double of what I originally owe.

Thank You for your time.



I do not think it is reasonable to pay a debt twice.

You have two option, call both the debt collectors and see who is really collecting the account or dispute both accounts at the credit bureaus. The one that remains is the one that is collecting the account.

Once you know who is collecting the debt negotiate it as best as you can for a deletion from the credit report. A deletion of a utility company may not always be possible but it is worth the try.  

Credit Repair

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Chris Ebert


I can answer questions for Texas residents concerning issues that involve creditor and debtor rights. Specifically, I can answer questions concerning: FDCPA, FACTA, FCRA, and Texas state collections violations. Further I can guide consumers as how to repair their own credit with out the need for hiring a credit repair company.


For the last 10 years I have worked as a Sr. Paralegal in a law firm ( that defends debtors against their creditors. I have reviewed thousands of credit reports and under the supervision of our attorney helped thousands of clients resolve their credit issues.

The Ramos Law Firm

University of Texas at Austin

©2017 All rights reserved.