Creditors and Bankruptcy/Credit Card Debt Loan

Question
I am in my late 20s and have been through a tumultuous year - divorce and starting graduate school. My student loan debt is manageable and not in repayment, but I was left with a significant amount of credit card debt because of the divorce settlement, moving expenses, etc. I am considering looking for a personal loan at a lower interest rate to pay off my credit balances and bring down the number of payments. I rent, so I have no home equity to borrow against. I have a vehicle that is over 50% paid off (an amount greater than what I would be borrowing) with an auto loan around 4% interest.

So my questions are, first, is seeking a personal loan a smart move or will it create greater complications? If it is a good idea, can I use the vehicle as collateral even though it is already under lien? Would approaching the bank who has that loan be my best bet?

Answer
Hello Justin:    Good luck with your graduate studies.    

It is hard to give you any advice without knowing some more specific information.   You may have a couple of good options, but consolidating a group of unsecured creditors (like your credit cards) is probably not the best choice - and depending on your circumstances, may not be possible anyway.    Insofar as your vehicle is concerned, you definitely are not going to get anywhere with trying to borrow money against a title that is not cleared in your name.   

Sorry I can' t give you more specific advice, but I don't think anyone could without knowing more specific information.     Besides, this would be much easier talking about on the telephone.   You are welcome to call me anytime at this number:     915  261-3893   I will not charge you just to talk on the phone.

Creditors and Bankruptcy

Bankruptcy Services