Creditors and Bankruptcy/Overseas debt

Hi. I lived in Norway from 1999 to 2001. While there I incurred a debt that is now up to more than US $ 13,000.00. I lost my job and moved back to the US. Norway later revoked my norwegian citizenship but I am a US citizen and not allowed to have dual citizenship. The norwegian bank has now paid a US law firm to collect. I am 62 years old and living on social security. Not even enough to survive but I somehow manage. I also suffer from RA and Scoliocis. I live in Florida. Can they collect? I believe that there is no agreement between Norway and the US as far as debt collection but I could be wrong. Any advice in this matter would be most helpful.

Hello Ingrid:    I think you may be mistaken if it is your impression that they could not enforce the collection of the debt here in the United States.    I did some research on this issue last year when I had a case where my client had obtained a sizeable judgment against a civil defendant that subsequently fled to Hong Kong, China.    As it turned out, we could not enforce the judgment against him in China because they did not have a treaty on this matter with the United States.    On the other hand, in your case, Norway is undoubtedly a signatory to the Warsaw Convention (a treaty) and this would be enforceable in the United States against you if they were to file this judgment against you in your present location in the United States.   (the citizenship of the parties will not make any difference)     So what do you do now?    Have they already tried to collect from you here in the United States?    Discussing your present options would be much easier if we were to talk on the phone.   I will not charge you to talk on the phone.   You can call me anytime you wish at this number:    915  261-3893

Creditors and Bankruptcy

Bankruptcy Services

Can answer questions about bankruptcy, lawsuits or judgments that have been filed against you. Also can answer questions about tax issues, property that is facing foreclosure, repossession of vehicles, and wage garnishments. 915 261-3893

Over 30 years experience assisting consumers with lawsuits and bankruptcy matters since graduating from law school.

Numerous published appellate court opinions; Law review publications; Article on consumer bankruptcy in Black Enterprise magazine; was requested to author a book on consumer bankruptcy by Doubleday Publishers

Over twenty years of education including law degree (J.D.); masters and bachelors degrees in political science; author of magazine articles related to consumer bankruptcy; hundreds of hours of continuing education legal education and seminars

Have had well over a thousand bankruptcy clients during the past 30 years and have had many clients in civil lawsuits during the same time period