Creditors and Bankruptcy/Bankruptcy

Question
QUESTION: I was divorced in 2010. I received the house. I did a re-modification with just my name after the divorce was final in 2010. The house is current and none of the payments have been late. My ex-wife recently filed bankruptcy and I am being charged a default fee of $1,000. The company is Carrington Financial. Is this legal? Can she include this on her bankruptcy?

ANSWER: Your wife can include the mortgage (in fact, she must include it) and choose not to reaffirm, however I have never heard of a "default" fee.  I would consult with a local attorney about getting that waived.

Brian V. Lee, Esq.
htttp://www.lee-legal.com

QUESTION: I am not understanding why she must include the house if she is no longer responsible for the house. if I remodified the loan after the divorce decree awarded me the house and her no liability on any of its debts, and the re-mod is only in my name, how does it apply to her in her bankruptcy?

Answer
No, you're right, that doesn't make sense.  Sometimes I include smaller creditors when I am not sure whether my client's debt has been sold, charged off, or is just being serviced by another entity.

But if your wife was removed from the loan during modification, there was no reason to list the mortgage in her schedules.

Creditors and Bankruptcy

Brian V. Lee, Esq.