Creditors and Bankruptcy/1099-C and insolvency

Question
If I believe I am insolvent, how do I list my portion of my home on the insolvency worksheet? My father and I each own a 50% share of my home. There is an outstanding mortgage, but the appraised value is more than we owe. Do I claim half the principal as debt and half the appraisal as an asset?

I live in South Carolina which is an equitable distribution state. This seems like the most logical way to complete the worksheet, but I want to get some guidance.

Thank you.

Answer
Hello Sherri:
Coincidentally, I just had a case involving the insolvency worksheet in the context of a person that had to file one to avoid having to pay taxes on forgiven debt.     Is that the purpose of your question?      If it is, please call me and I can explain to you in more detail how this works and whether you have more than enough equity (or not) to avoid similar liability.    On the other hand, you may be asking about some thing else entirely.    Neither I nor anyone else can give you a good answer to this without knowing more information than you have stated in your question.    It would be much easier to talk on the telephone and I will not charge you just to talk on the phone.   You are welcome to call me at any time at this number.     

Jack Hall, J.D.
915  261-3893

Creditors and Bankruptcy

Bankruptcy Services