Creditors and Bankruptcy/Stay or Move?

Hi Atty. Bayer,

I'm in the process of filing for bankruptcy for credit card debts. In addition to utility bills, I have an apartment that I rent for $865 a month here in Chicago. I'm planning on moving back to San Diego and moving in with relatives until I can get back on my feet. I'm due to renew my rent in a couple if days but I'm torn between keeping my apartment here in Chicago and moving back to California. I have a job here and my own place. If I move back to California after filing for bankruptcy, I don't know what my prospects are going to be in terms of getting an apartment and getting job. Should I stick it out here in Chicago?

Thanks much!

Dear Ginger,

I think you should stay put in Chicago, provided that you are happy there. It sounds like you value your independence. You have a job, and your own place to live.

The bankruptcy should eliminate the credit car problem. I would guess that your job covers your normal living expenses like rent and utility bills.

At this point, you are still "on your feet." Not, "off of them".

You should not let the bankruptcy interfere at all with your normal life. You should not view the bankruptcy any differently than you would view getting a traffic ticket. Keep your job, your apartment, and your independance. Filing bankruptcy does not require you to disrupt your entire life.

If there are any other facts to consider, than feel free to write again. But it sounds to me like you are doing just fine!  

Creditors and Bankruptcy

Los Angeles Bankruptcy Attorney Leon Bayer

I can answer all questions relating to debt collection, credit reporting problems, credit scores, bankruptcy, debt settlements, debt settlement scams, and dealing with debt collectors. For many years I have been one of your volunteer experts for the topic "Bankruptcy Law". I would like to receive more questions. I'm thinking that many relevant questions get asked under this catagory as well as my own. See my stats, below: Los Angeles Bankruptcy Lawyer Leon D. Bayer U.S. Available View Profile Ask A Question View Past Answers Knowledgeability9.96 Clarity of Response9.93 Politeness9.97 Response Time(hr)14.6 --Last 90 Days(hr)7.6 Total Questions1119

34 years as a practicing bankruptcy attorney, published book author on topics of bankruptcy and foreclosure. See,

BA degree, J.D., admitted to California Bar in 1979.

President, 1995-1996-Los Angeles Bankruptcy Forum; Member - Los Angeles County Bar Association Committee on Commercial Law & Bankruptcy, 1988. Law Advisory Commission-Personal & Small Business Bankruptcy Law of the State Bar of California, 1996-2000

Over 15,000 bankruptcy cases.