Creditors and Bankruptcy/money transfer with debt

I have a significant amount of debt owed to credit card companies. After a divorce, I was forced to live off my cards, then ran into financial despair and was unable to pay. It has been almost 3 years since I have paid on the debt, and most have been charged off, and one is in collections last I knew. I haven't been contacted, so I assume it is still in collections. My mother wants to send me (gift me) some money to help me get back on my feet, but is afraid the credit card companies will see it and take it all.  I have read this type of thing can happen, and I really need the money to get back on my feet and start a new life. She wants to send $14,000.  Is there a way for her to send it where debt collectors won't see, or claim it?  Or is it a chance I have to take, if she wants to help me out?  I am in the state of New Hampshire.  Thank you for any guidance, or advice you can give.

Leon Bayer
Leon Bayer  
Here are some suggestions:

1. See if you are eligible to file bankruptcy. Have a consult with a few bankruptcy lawyers. Your mother can pay the legal fees for you. After filing bankruptcy, she can give you the money and it will then be safe. I don't see you getting a very good fresh start without a bankruptcy. You credit is already wrecked.

How to get a bankruptcy lawyer for half-price: It's in my free bankruptcy ebook:

2. Other option: She can make you an authorized user on her card.  

Creditors and Bankruptcy

Los Angeles Bankruptcy Attorney Leon Bayer

I can answer all questions relating to debt collection, credit reporting problems, credit scores, bankruptcy, debt settlements, debt settlement scams, and dealing with debt collectors. For many years I have been one of your volunteer experts for the topic "Bankruptcy Law". I would like to receive more questions. I'm thinking that many relevant questions get asked under this catagory as well as my own. See my stats, below: Los Angeles Bankruptcy Lawyer Leon D. Bayer U.S. Available View Profile Ask A Question View Past Answers Knowledgeability9.96 Clarity of Response9.93 Politeness9.97 Response Time(hr)14.6 --Last 90 Days(hr)7.6 Total Questions1119

34 years as a practicing bankruptcy attorney, published book author on topics of bankruptcy and foreclosure. See,

BA degree, J.D., admitted to California Bar in 1979.

President, 1995-1996-Los Angeles Bankruptcy Forum; Member - Los Angeles County Bar Association Committee on Commercial Law & Bankruptcy, 1988. Law Advisory Commission-Personal & Small Business Bankruptcy Law of the State Bar of California, 1996-2000

Over 15,000 bankruptcy cases.