Cricket/Age factor

Hello sir,

This is Nikhil Mukund.V from chennai and hope u remember me asking you questions about umpiring. Now TNCA has been giving the forms for level 1 umpiring. The only criteria was the age, and the minimum age was 25 for applying. Am 22 years of age and i also requested them but they said my application wont be processed if the age is below 25 or above 45. I guess there is no chance for me to write the exam for the next 3 years. Is the limits set by the BCCI or the individual state cricketing boards? Is there any other alternative to be an official cricket umpire recognized by BCCI? Much awaiting for reply sir.

Kind Regards

Nikhil Mukund.V

Dear Nikhil,

Thanks for your query. Wish you happy and prosperous Diwali.

As far as local (State level) Level 1 exam is concerned, there should not be any age criteria. In fact, I am of the opinion that there should not be any age criteria in Umpiring. There is no such age criteria in other countries. Recently one Patel, has become the world's youngest cricket umpire in UK. He became an umpire at the age of 15 only and recently he has been doing some county matches in UK.

The job of umpiring is required your mental fitness and sound stamina to stand for 7 hours on the field of play. If you are fit you can take up exam at any point of age. But normally cricket loving persons would like to play and enjoy the game of cricket before taking up umpiring. Everybody loves to play cricket up to his college days. Once he settles with good job, his passion will lure him to take up Umpiring or something else.

If a person continues to play up to the age of 20 to 25 years, naturally then he may like to take up umpiring. But nobody can stop him from doing umpiring while playing together. If he qualifies for Level-2 exam at an early age, he can definitely become a good first class umpire. As such, the retirement age also should be set a side. If an umpire is fit to stand in a match with better performance, why should he quit? Let him decide his own fitness and abilities to whether continue or not.

So there should not be any age criteria, instead. I have yet to confirm the required minimum minimum and maximum age for the Level-1 exam. If I come to know I will do let you know in this regard.

But keep doing umpiring and gain more experience to avoid any embarrassing moments in your career, once you become good umpire.

So lets enjoy the Diwali period. Have patience and be cool to wait for your turn to take up umpiring exam. What would have happened, had Sachin Tendulkar been refused to play cricket for his small figure at the age of 15? Age should not be the criteria, talent is the criteria.

With best wishes,

Suhas Sapre (Baroda 13/11/2012)

Suhas L Sapre

I can help to give all questions regarding cricket laws, rules on both umpiring and cricket scoring. It will be a great pleasure to help any candidate who wants to clear the exam of BCCI. I can guide him how the questions are asked and the way they should be replied. I can also conduct classes for Cricket umpiring and scoring anywhere. I look forward to educate and promote local umpires in the days to come. I would help them to get through BCCI Level 1 exam.

I have been a state panel cricket umpire and doing umpiring for last 40 years and also a BCCI official national scorer since 2004, having done many International ODIs played at Baroda and many first class matches in Baroda. I have passed many state panel exams in both categories.

I was serving with State Bank of India, as an Officer, posted at Bodeli branch, some 65 Kmts from Baroda, having taken promotion in August 2012. I was thereafter transferred to Pavi Jepur Br, some 90 kmts from Baroda on 20/12/2013. Recently I have taken VRS from Bank as after becoming an officer I was facing lot of problems regarding leave to attend BCCI matches as a scorer and also Local umpiring and thus hampering my sporting activities. Now to enable me to spare more time for my passion, I have opted for VRS and was relieved on 30/01/2016 and now will look forward to enjoy my passion in the remaining years.Look forward to remain busy with cricketing activities for next one decade and more.Look forward to help my cricket colleagues. Look forward to give off my best services to my passion, which has taught me many more things and now I feel I must contribute towards the local cricket association, i.e. Baroda Cricket Association with all love and enthusiasm in the coming years.I feel proud to take VRS for the sake of my passion. Its a great feeling that I have taken a bold decision in the wake of my passion which has given me enjoyment and physical fitness to enjoy the game of cricket in the the days to come. Now I feel myself as a free bird and no tension. Look forward to help budding umpires.

Earlier I used to write in local newspaper but thereafter time has not permitted me to do so. I give my views over the controversial topic.

I am a degree holder of Commerce and having a reputed banking job in Baroda. Recently due to some personal problems and to fulfil my love and passion for the game of cricket I have opted volunteer retirement from the Bank service to enable me to do BCCI matches as an Official scorer in first class matches. Taking promotion in Bank and expecting leave for the matches was a major problem and that is one of the reasons to quit bank ahead of cricket.

I have passed several examination of cricket umpiring at State levels. I passed Mumbai cricket Association as well as Baroda Cricket Associations state exams. I had also cleared national written test of BCCI, but unfortunately sheer bad luck in viva and practical. I have also stood first in the Scorers' state level examinations at Saurashtra, exam conducted by Saurashtra Cricket Association and also stood first in Mumbai Cricket Association's Scorers' exam. I further cleared the BCCI national exam in the year 1994 held at Ahmedabad. In all I have officiated as an Umpire in more than 3500 matches, including T20, ODI, 3-4-5/days matches, 6-aside, double wicket tournaments, single wicket tournaments, and many more festival events and charity matches. I have also officiated as an official scorer in many first class cricket matches as well as almost all ODI matches played at the IPCL/ Reliance Cricket ground in Baroda. In all I have officiated as an official scorer in not less than 300 matches. I have been appointed a Sports Secretary of SBI in Baroda (2010 to 2012) I have been elected as one of the Umpires' committee of Baroda Cricket Association on 23.04.2012 Looking forward to take care of local umpires and will try to educate them. Recently I was privileged to conduct a 3-day cricket Umpires seminar on 7 to 9 September, 2012 along with Shri Sanjay Hazare, BCCI Elite panel cricket umpire. This was my first ever experience to conduct a seminar, which had almost 60 participants. I am thankful to the Baroda Cricket Association for giving me this opportunity. I have been honoured on many occasions with awards and certificates for my best umpiring. Recently on 13th February, 2014, I was invited as a Chief Guest by Amrut School in Halol, to celebrate the Annual Sports Day of their school.