Cricket/LBW

Question
QUESTION: Hello Sir,
         when the ball is bowled by a right hand bowler around the wicket and the ball is in line of the stumps and hits the pad of a left hand batsmen is it out ?

ANSWER: Dear Sai Datta,

Thanks again for your question.

In my opinion he is out, without doubt, "LBW".

What is required of you is you should be satisfied that all he conditions of LBW are met with, and your index finger should go up. I always consider all the conditions of LBW, rather then going by whether the bowler is bowing over the wicket or round the wicket.  Sometimes, bowlers are bowling too close from the stumps, that is he bowling very straight in line with the stumps, whereas if they bowl from the angle off the crease, or wide of the stumps, then they are not bowling straight to the wicket. So bowling round the wicket has some more advantage for the bowlers to claim LBW wicket.  As far as LBW is considered people have different opinion from different angle, but what you feel at the instant of appeal, you must answer the appeal with all your experience.

After a fair ball, you have to watch the flight / trajectory of that delivery, then you must be sure the pitching off the ball and where it hits first, (ignore if it hits the bat first), the traveling distance after pitching, would you be able to judge the deviation, if any when the ball pitched and hit the pads. Would the ball have gone to hit the wicket, if not intercepted first with the person or pads.

So don't get confused with right arm over the wicket or round the wicket, what is important is the movement of the delivery and other aspects mentioned above.

Hope this will help you enough to clear your doubts. Thanks for your questions. I like to answer them and share my experience with you all cricket lovers.

With best wishes,

Suhas Sapre (Baroda 20/11/2012)

QUESTION: Then What If It's A Right Hand Batsmen Sir ?

Answer
Dear Sai Datta,

Thanks for getting back to me to get more clarity on LBW decision.

I told you right and left hand batsman facing to a right hand bowler, whether bowling over the wicket or round the wicket has nothing to with LBW rule. Logically you have to follow the certain conditions of the LBW law and should not get confused with anything round or over the wicket. The decision of LBW is based on certain conditions, which I mentioned earlier.

Pitching, impact and ball would have gone to hit the stumps, you have to rule the batsman out LBW. (On a fair delivery)

Umpire should close his eyes for an appeal of LBW, to a ball pitching outside the leg stump and even though it was going into the stumps.

I believe in practical experience and not other aspects for LBW decision. If you concentrate on delivery, it will not trouble you anymore. The more you stand in the matches, will help you to gain more confidence.

So don't get confused. Its always your eye sight that should follow the path of the ball till it hits the person or pad of the batsman and you must follow its further path after that impact.

Hope you understand my views on LBW. With best wishes,

Suhas Sapre (Baroda 21/11/2012)

Cricket

Suhas L Sapre