Cricket/maximum runs

Question
QUESTION: Sir I have a very simple question i.e. If while keeping the wicket the ball misses the bat and hits the keeper's legs, pads etc. i.e. any other thing other than hand or gloves and  hits the stumps and the striker is out of crease than will it be given out? If yes, then will it be a stump out or anything else?

ANSWER: Dear Gurwinder singh,

Thanks for your question.

Yes, The striker is out stumped.

Law 39:2 BALL REBOUNDING FROM WK'S PERSON:

If the wicket is put down by the ball, it shall be regarded as having been put down by Wicket Keeper, if the ball,

(a) rebounds on to the stumps from any part of the WK's person or equipment other than a protective helmet. or,

(b) has been kicked or thrown on to the stumps by the Wicket keeper.

If ball rebounds from the WK's helme6, he is not out but ball remains in play for fielding side to get either batsman run out.

Hope you will enjoy and will help to gain more confidence with this. Continue to ask your doubts.

With best wishes,

Suhas Sapre (Baroda 07/11/2012)

QUESTION: Respected Sir, thanks a lot for the last answer regarding stump out. I have another doubt which I faced during playing that when the ball hits the pad first and then hits the bat then are the runs given to the batsman? Also if he gets caught  then will he be given out?

ANSWER: Dear Gurwinder Singh,

Thanks for your question. Wish you happy Diwali and lot more success in your store in the coming years.

Yes, batsman is out 'caught', if the ball has not touched the ground since being first struck.
It is not the matter whether the ball hits the pad first, or bat first, as long as the ball has not touched the ground since being first struck. Secondly runs result from pad and bat and bat and pad are allowed and will go to the striker's account.

But its a different if the striker deliberately pads up and then ball hits the bat, the runs will be disallowed, but since the ball is in play, a catch will be a valid one.

When the ball striker the pads first and then bat, if there is an LBW appeal, you have to give the striker out LBW, if all other conditions of LBW are met with. For LBW always  the first impact counts.

So the striker is out, irrespective of ball hitting the pad first or bat first.

Hope this will clear your doubts. Your questions are very interesting from fresh umpires' point of view. Hope to receive many more questions from you.

With best wishes and regards,

Suhas Sapre (Baroda 13/112012)

QUESTION: Sir, I asked this question from different persons and always got the different answer. Hope you will clear my doubt that how many runs a batsman can take after playing a shot if the ball doesn't reach the boundary rope and still is in the play?
I want to share an incident that once Don Bradman played a shot and the ball didn't reach the boundary and was lost in the tall grass at the boundary and English players did not call it as a lost ball. So he took 18 runs of that delivery just by running before they could find the ball. So I think that we can take infinite number of runs on a delivery. Am I correct??

Answer
Dear Gurwinder singh,

Thanks for your question.

Law:20 : LOST BALL,

This Law is still prevailing in the cricket bible. Lost ball means, ball lost within the boundary and not outside. If the ball crosses the boundary and if it is lost outside the boundary as it has crossed the boundary it has become dead on the call of boundary.

Earlier in the game of cricket, due to heavy grass on the field of play and with the absence of proper grass cutter machine, the ball used to get lost in the grass. And as the fielding side was unaware, the batsmen used to keep on running and even more than 250 runs have been recorded in the recreational English game

A call of 'lost ball' is unusual in professional cricket, and nowadays only really happens in recreational games where cricket fields may include some goal post or snake holes, or where there is a tree in the field of play and no local rule about what happens when it is hit. Previously 'lost ball' could only be called when the ball could not be found. This has resulted in some ridiculous local games where batsmen scored a large number of runs whilst the fielding side had to try and find the ball with gun or with a ladder to climb up a tree the ball had got lodged in. (The ball not being lost as it was readily visible.)

The current version of the Law prevents this, as now 'lost ball' can also be called by any fieldsman including  a wicket keeper, when the ball cannot be recovered within the field of play.

Therefore, he fielding side will try to find the ball until the batsmen cross for the 6th run, and will immediately call 'Lost ball' to prevent batting side from taking more than 6 runs. If batsmen complete 10 runs and cross for the 11th when fielding side declares "lost ball', as many as 11 runs will be scored and striker will not change.

Hope this will satisfy your eagerness to know regarding how many runs can be allowed for Lost ball.

With best wishes,

Suhas Sapre (Baroda 29/11/2012)

Cricket

Suhas L Sapre