Cricket/Umpiring Exam

Question
QUESTION: Hello Sir,
         To Become A professional umpire i.e umpiring for state and higher levels does BCCI conduct an exam or ,do we need to start umpiring from club levels and they select us by observing our experience ,or do they give us promotion from the club level ?

ANSWER: Dear Sai Datta,

Thanks for your question.

When you decide to take up umpiring, you must start standing in practice matches, friendly matches, you can stand in nets / practice session. It is not that you can directly apply and appear in BCCI exam. You must be a registered umpire of your local association. You must apply with a written application to your local association that you are interested in offering your services as an umpire You can mention your playing experience. Playing cricket to some lever will make you a better umpire than a person who has never played cricket. I have experienced many Indian players have not been found fit to stand in first class matches. Playing cricket and doing umpiring is altogether different and makes a lot of difference. All first class players cannot be good umpires and all non-playing umpires are not bad umpires. Its all depend on how you quickly follow the interpretation of rules and how you apply them. Its all about application of the Laws  on the ground. So work hard. Keep on playing together with umpiring, it will help you a lot to learn lot of things regarding umpiring. Umpiring is not merely counting 6 balls and go home. So gain more practical on field experience to become professional umpire. Our former test umpire Venkatraghvan had done umpiring for 3 months at a stretch with little gap, when he had decided to take up umpiring. So mind well, its not so easy as one would think from outside the boundary. You must have passion and love for the game.

More about it when you learn something out of this and try to stand in matches. Get back to me and mention your playing experience.

With best wishes,

Suhas Sapre (Baroda 15/11/2012)

QUESTION: Hello Sir,
         In My last question you told me that we should be in touch with the local association to umpire local club matches.then for suppose we have been umpiring for 5 years and i'm intrested in umpiring at higher level then should we ourselves go and ask the local association to promote us to the higher level or they call us when there is an empty post ?

ANSWER: Dear Sai Datta,

Thanks for getting back to me for further clearance of your doubts.

You must be a registered umpire with your local association. If you are a registered umpire and serving your association for the cause, it is your association, which is responsible to promote your career as an umpire. Local association is having Umpiring Committee, which works for the posting of umpires in various local as well as promotional tournaments under the banner of the association. Any organization which likes to conduct any event or tournament, they have to approach the association for the services of the umpires and for the requirements of the local grounds.

So if you have been doing umpiring for 5 years under the banner of your local association, you need not bother about exam. It is the association which will propose certain list of umpires when BCCI's officials are appointed to conduct exam at certain places. So keep on doing your job, the time will come for you to appear in the exam. Do as many matches as possible, try to learn while doing umpiring. Make a habit of putting everything on paper, any doubtful points in your diary and get back to me so that you will learn the art of umpiring. I am here to remove your doubts and guide you for the BCCI level-1 exam.

Hope this is good enough for your anxiety of knowing regarding umpiring exam. Good luck, dear.

Suhas Sapre (Baroda 17/11/2012)

QUESTION: Then Sir How Would The Local Association knew That We Are Very good At Umpiring ? Do They Look At Our Umpiring Experience(in terms of years) ?

Answer
Dear Sai Datta,

Thanks for your question.

Your performance is judged by the reports of the captains. More over if there is no complaint lodged against you with your association, you are safe and presume to be good umpire. Moreover, your colleague may judge you better if he is a senior colleague. As far as there is no complaint, you are in the good books of the concerned committee and they will proposae your name for the BCCI Level-1 exam. After all each association has to propose 25 names for level-1 exam.

Hope this is clear to you to judge where you are!

With best wishes,

Suhas Sapre (Baroda 18/11/2012)

Cricket

Suhas L Sapre