Cricket/No Ball

Hi Colin. Can you please tell me that is it a no ball if a bowler bowled a ball from behind the umpire or the bowling crease? Well I saw a Scottish bowler doing so in the T20 World Cup, 2009.

Many thanks.
Sujon Rahman

Law 24.5(b)
"the bowler’s front foot must land ... behind the popping crease."
Clearly this is true in your situation!

Law 24.5 (a)
"the bowler’s back foot must land within and not touching the return crease"
Law 9.4
"... return crease shall be marked .... and shall be considered to be unlimited in length."

Clearly in this situation, it may be difficult for the umpire to judge how wide the bowler is BUT it could well be legitimate.

Law 24.5 goes on to say
"If the bowler’s end umpire is not satisfied that all of these ... conditions have been met, he shall call and signal No ball."  

Colin Pearson

Cricket umpiring and scoring. I can answer questions on MCC Laws of Cricket but not ICC and other special regulations, which are frequently changing. I cannot answer questions on careers as a cricket umpiring. For details of courses, visit (anywhere that has advertised), (UK only)

I passed The Association of Cricket Umpires and Scorers Full membership examinations in 1961 and have been an instructor since 1973, and examiner since 1977 and have undergone the first stage training as an Umpire Assessor for ECB Association of Cricket Officials. I was Chairman of Training Board for ACU&S from 1981 to 1997.

ECB Association of Cricket Officials British Computer Society Society of Expert Witnesses Chartered Institute of Arbitrators Rotary International

MA Hons Cantab 1966 DMS Part 1, 1975 Enterprise Reader (rtd), Staffordshire University)

Taylor Scholarship 1963 Life Vice President ACU&S 1998