Cricket/Coach

Question
QUESTION: Hello Sir,
         you have given tips regarding the post of an umpire but now can you please briefly give the details on how to become a qualified cricket coach.

ANSWER: Dear Sai Dutta,

Excuse me for delay in answering your questions.

Your main role is to organize cricket coaching sessions and matches for the children. Many of the schools cannot afford to have their own sports teachers so your volunteer work will make a big difference straight away. Your cricket coaching sessions may be timetabled during the school day but, more often than not, you will organize cricket clubs after school. You may be nervous about coaching cricket in India, but you will soon discover that you possess a wealth of knowledge that your young cricketers are desperate to have. By teaching simple batting and fielding techniques, as well as bowling and basic team tactics, your players will develop rapidly. And you will find your coaching sessions extremely rewarding, not only because the young players are so enthusiastic, but because many of the players are very talented. Seeing your cricketers improve so quickly is great motivation for any cricket coach. Once you are more settled in your role, you may want to help organize sports days or cricket tournaments for the teams you work with. This is a great way to get your players excited about the competitive side of the game, and also to develop a strong team bond and sense of sportsmanship.

Few tips for you,

* Introduce and develop the cricket to the people of all ages in an enjoyable way
* Develop the basic movement skills
* Improve your own coaching skills and knowledge
* Attend the good practise and child protection course
* Attend the Cricket Coach First Aid Appointed Persons course
* Assignments set have to be completed
* Home study packs and associated assessments have to be completed
* Prior to your assessment day,submit your records of coaching and assignments
* You have to attend an assessment day where you will be told to coach a few players and have a follow up exam on this.The records of your coaching and assignments should be conveyed to you4 association.

With all these, you need to approach your cricket association and enroll your name as a Coach, later on finding you as suitable for coach, they will consider and nominate your name for the BCCI Level-1 exam.

Hope this will satisfy your question. With best wishes,

Suhas Sapre (Baroda 27/12/2012)

QUESTION: But How Do We Get Selected for Coaching A State Team Is There Any Exam Conducted.

Answer
Dear Sai Dutta,

Nice of your asking questions and I feel thrilled to answer them.

For any BCCI exam, whether it is for Umpires, for Scorers, for coaches or for video analyst, it is always looked after by the host association of respective individual.  So it is always routed through your local association, and you must be in contact with them for any opportunity. So maintain good relations to get good rapport from them.

Some information I would like to share with you as under:-

The Art of Coaching Cricket

Pre-requisites:

Any individual who has played cricket at national / state / district / university / club level
   In good physical condition.

Course Duration:

5 days (30 hours) of lectures, practicals and workshops, followed by a day for examination.

Syllabus:

1. Generic topics

The role of the coach, coaching philosophy, coaching styles and the process of teaching skills
The Laws and Spirit of Cricket
The relationship between the coach, player and his/her parents
Safety and first aid for cricket-related injuries
Introduction to fitness and the parameters of fitness
Warm up, stretching and warm down procedures
Goal setting in sport
Effective management of a cricket practice session
The process of learning sports skills - games versus traditional method

2. Cricket-specific topics

Batting basics:

Grip
   Stance
   Back-lift
   Downswing
   Vertical and horizontal defensive and attacking shots
   Running between the wickets

Bowling basics:

Basic bowling action
   Pace bowling
   Spin bowling

Fielding basics:

Catching
   Attacking and defensive fielding
   Throwing
   Wicket-keeping

Captaincy and Leadership

Course assessment requirements:

Attend all units
Theory and Practical examination (minimum 75%)

Following is the BCCI structure of recruitment for coaches.

Level A : Course : Successful completion of level A Course. Minimum 12 months of coaching experience and attended Level A Refresher course

Level: B : Successful completion of level B Course. 24 months of coaching experience and attended level B Refresher course

Level: C : Successful completion of level C Course. Satisfactory completion of assignments and attended level-C refresher course.

Hope you will like this and enjoy.

Suhas Sapre (Baroda 27/12/2012)  

Cricket

Suhas L Sapre