A bit serious question your excellency. My question is whether it is declared run out when the bat is exactly on the crease and bails are off? The is in contact with the crease but not inside the crease. I mean it is on the particular crease but not inside. Then is it declared out or not out?

Law 29.1 (a) says
"A batsman shall be considered to be out of his ground unless his bat or some part of his person is grounded BEHIND the popping crease at that end."

Law 9.3 emphasises:
"The popping crease, which is the BACK EDGE of the crease marking, .."

Colin Pearson

Cricket umpiring and scoring. I can answer questions on MCC Laws of Cricket but not ICC and other special regulations, which are frequently changing. I cannot answer questions on careers as a cricket umpiring. For details of courses, visit (anywhere that has advertised), (UK only)

I passed The Association of Cricket Umpires and Scorers Full membership examinations in 1961 and have been an instructor since 1973, and examiner since 1977 and have undergone the first stage training as an Umpire Assessor for ECB Association of Cricket Officials. I was Chairman of Training Board for ACU&S from 1981 to 1997.

ECB Association of Cricket Officials British Computer Society Society of Expert Witnesses Chartered Institute of Arbitrators Rotary International

MA Hons Cantab 1966 DMS Part 1, 1975 Enterprise Reader (rtd), Staffordshire University)

Taylor Scholarship 1963 Life Vice President ACU&S 1998