Cricket/Swich hit

How we can call wide ball in swich hit ?

for eg. A right handed batsmen switched his position to be left handed batsmen before or during the ball is balled. And the ball passed his left side, before swith hit. Is it is wide ball ??.

What is the difference between swich hit and reverse sweep ?

Judgment of a Wide Ball should be based on being out of reach in BOTH positions.

Law 25.1 is most specific: "wide of the striker where he is AND which also would have passed wide of him standing in a normal guard position".

If he was right handed and the ball would have passed "wide" of his leg stump, and he turns to left handed, then there is a good chance that the ball would then be within his reach and not wide.

I guess in most cases when he switches, he loses the Wide situation.

For LBW, MCC say he should be considered in relation to original stance only.

A reverse sweep is played by reversing the bat and without reversing the general stance.  

Colin Pearson

Cricket umpiring and scoring. I can answer questions on MCC Laws of Cricket but not ICC and other special regulations, which are frequently changing. I cannot answer questions on careers as a cricket umpiring. For details of courses, visit (anywhere that has advertised), (UK only)

I passed The Association of Cricket Umpires and Scorers Full membership examinations in 1961 and have been an instructor since 1973, and examiner since 1977 and have undergone the first stage training as an Umpire Assessor for ECB Association of Cricket Officials. I was Chairman of Training Board for ACU&S from 1981 to 1997.

ECB Association of Cricket Officials British Computer Society Society of Expert Witnesses Chartered Institute of Arbitrators Rotary International

MA Hons Cantab 1966 DMS Part 1, 1975 Enterprise Reader (rtd), Staffordshire University)

Taylor Scholarship 1963 Life Vice President ACU&S 1998