Cricket/Umpiring....

Question
Hi sir,
       I am interested in taking umpiring as a profession, my question is 1)how I should approach the local cricket association, for example I come from Pune, should I contact Pune district cricket association or Maharastra cricket association?  
         2) should I give them my biodata regarding only my cricketing experience or educational qualification also?
         3) How should I pursue my application with them, will they call me according to their requirement?or there is any procedure say, any form or something that I have to fill up?

Answer
Dear Yogesh,

Thanks for your question.

Anybody who is interest in Cricket, having a bit of knowledge about the game can approach his/her local cricket association with a simple written application. He should mention that he is interested in cricket and he knows the game well and is interested to take up umpiring and to help the association with his services. But he must know certain basic rules to enable him to answer a few questions if interviewed. You need to give your all details n=in your application, also mention any playing experience or any other experience regarding the game.So get yourself enrolled with the local association at any time in the evening. They are supposed to enroll your name with the association and would inform you regarding exam for local as well as BCCI level-1 exam. Get to know more details from local umpires and befriend them with low profile. Certainly there are some people who would definitely like to help you.

You can read the following instructions for your success.

Here are some of the positive tips for becoming a professional cricket umpire.

1.    If you have played the game, if you are involved in the game, it becomes handy in terms of understaidng the rules and knowing the umpires’ new signals.
2.   It is a long cherished career to last for decades, once you achieve it.
3.   Your playing days would not get over, when you stop playing cricket, you can still remain attach to the game by way of becoming cricket umpire or scorer.
4.   There are no’rules’ or ‘guidelines’ that helps to make you a good umpire. However, code of conduct defines how an umpire should conduct themselves.
5.   Contact the state Director of Umpires in your state and enroll your name in their list of umpires to enable you to stand in local matches. So start with your registration with the local association.
6.   To start umpiring-without playing cricket you need to have to gain lot more practical experience of the matches. At least if you have played some club matches level, it will help you to understand the laws easily. You can be master of theory but what about practical, which is the most important part of becoming umpire. It is not always true that only players can turn good umpires. But your playing experience will make you easy to follow the rules of the game and for your interpretation. So when you are young why don’t you prolong your playing days for some time besides standing in some friendly games, which will help you in the coming days.
7.   There are certain ladder to climb and achieve certain goals in life. There are Nursery, KG sections primary sections and so on, before one can join some professional and skilled courses..
Like wise in cricket, one should take up 9if interested) playing cricket like schooling. One can take up to learn and master the skill of the game at a tender age of 7 or 8. If you have talent, it would be noticed by your coach and that will make senses to continue to play for more years to find a place in Jr. as well as Sr tournaments, as you grow older. But everyobody cannot be a cricketer and not to waste our knowledge about the game and to remain involved in the game one can take up other assignments like umpiring scoring.
8.   Cricket is a modern game and now gives you more opportunities to explore with your talent and skill. The game caters lucrative posts and professional umpire is one of them.
9.   Whatever assignemtn you would like to choose in the game of cricket, it should not be at the cost of your personal career. Becaue a big game is involved with lot of politics and one shoul overcome such obstacles during one’s path, while aiming to reach the goal.
10.   If you have a great desire to be come progfessonal umpires I would guide you as under,

•   Keep yourself fit to stand for 6 to 7 hours that too in high as well as low temprerature. Like cricketers you also have tomaintain sound fitness. This you can gain by standing in matches from your young days.
•   Start umpiring job in your own game, when players have to invoke into the job by turn.
•   Read, cram, Read & follow, Understand the catch words in each law. Also try to learn and apply the most important Law i.e. Law No. 43- “Common sense” while standing in the game. You can acquire this with the practical experience.
•   Try to follow the rules of the game while playing. Try to discuss the problems with your senior umpires.
•   Without Guru no knowledge, like no knowledge without college. On the base of this proverb, you have to make some one your “preacher” (guru) to learn and discuss more about the interpretation of the rule.
•   You should develop good communication skill with good command over English language.
•   You should practice answering question papers of your state exams in writing.
•   You enroll your name with your local association, and start stand in Junior league tournaments.
•   Make a commitment to yourself, providing quality services to umpiring, irrespective of the status of the game.
•   You must be thoroughly conversant with the rules and be sufficiently authoritative and diplomat to carry out the role of umpiring.
•   Keep your Umpiring kit ready with required equipments
o   Diary / Papers
o   Pen / Pencils / Rubber / Calculator
o   Match card (Bowling card)
o   Required Panama floppy cap
o   Sun glasses / other glasses for better vision
o   Neat & clean uniform
o   Ball counting machine in an over
o   Copy of Pocket Rule book
o   Copy of any local playing conidions / Regulation book
o   Any other required euquipments
o   Handkerchief / Towel

I also presume you must have purchased a Bible on Cricket Laws. Hope this will help you a lot. For any further clarifications on any point,you can get back to me. Your questions are most welcome.

With best wishes,

Suhas Sapre (Baroda 17/12/2012)

Cricket

Suhas L Sapre