Dear Chintan Bhagat,

Thanks for your question. I appreciate your love for the game and have high regards for the game of cricket. Thinking of you that you are entering in primary school of umpiring school. As you are a cricket follower, but you have not mentioned whether you have played any level of cricket. Playing cricket is very much required to take up umpiring. One must have played some level of cricket, at club level or school, college level. It does not want one to play Test matches or ODIs. Having played cricket it will help you to follow and understand the Laws of game a bit easily. I would like you to read the following steps to become a cricket umpire.

Career in Umpiring is as tough as becoming cricketer. But playing cricket and together enjoying umpiring is a very useful path towards taking up umpiring. I would not make you disappoint any time but before that I would like to make it clear that you must give priority to your personal career before taking up such career. Always career comes first before taking up any hobby and converting the hobby into career. Umpiring is not to be made bread and butter rather than converting later into professional career along with your personal career.

You are just 26, and this is the right age you have made up your mind. If you want to be a cricketer, you must start taking lessons right from the age of 8 years. If you take up cricket in that way as if you represent your association in different BCCI categorized junior tournament, i.e. u’14, u’17, u’19, u’22 and so on. This is a ladder as well as platform to become a first class cricketer. By chance if you see no future in between and see no further scope of becoming Ranji Trophy player, you must take up either umpiring or scoring along with playing in local matches to enable you to keep involved in the game of your interest.

Now you have crossed all these and have a very good chance to take up umpiring seriously. And if you make up your mind henceforth, you will see your dream come true. In fact, it is never required to have played any cricket for becoming an umpire. But anybody who has played a bit of competitive cricket at least up to club, school or college level, it helps him to know the game well. It is “Play the game, Know the game, Learn the game and Master the game” to be an umpire..

I am not sure what prompted you to take up umpiring but your love for the game would have prompted you to take up umpiring. Compared to earlier days of BCCI exam system, the BCCI has now come out with a revised recruitment system for umpires. I would advise you to follow the following guidelines and I hope you would definitely achieve your goal of becoming first class umpire in next 10 years.

Now come to the point of making a professional career. But presume you must have crossed teenage and must have played some competitive local cricket matches. I would advise you to stand in junior matches and local friendly matches where you would get to learn so many things and also keep on noting down certain doubtful questions over certain points to learn the same from your Sr. Umpires. Also get acquainted with certain Sr. Umpires of your local Cricket Association who would help you to enroll your name in the list of Umpires of your Cricket Association. Your constant touch with the laws of the game of cricket would help you to gain more and more knowledge. You must learn the basic laws of the game by reading and understanding the "catch word" of the laws. As you are young enough you may get lot of opportunities. Also make any Sr. Umpires from your association, your 'Guru' so that it can help you to achieve your dream. Be polite and uncontroversial throughout until you make your position in this field. Politics is a tough thing to be overcome. I would also advise you that if you really want to take up umpiring seek any opportunity from other places like Gujarat, Saurashtra or any other association from the North, where you can settle down and achieve your dream.

Regarding examinations, now the BCCI has adopted a far better policy for youngsters to achieve this quiet easily. After enrolling your name with your local Crickt Association, you may get a first break to appear in the level-1 exam which will be held every alternate year. After getting through in level-1 exam, you will be appointed as an umpire for the local tournaments (state level) which will be monitored by the BCCI officials. There would be a gap of 5 years before you will get a chance to appear for the level-2 exam to enable you to stand in the BCCI Jr. Tournaments. And after that you would get a chance in the final level-3 exam. You must pass both level-1 & 2 before you cross 40 to have a bright future in Umpiring career. Also remember that 80% to 90% passing marks are required in any exam.

You Start Doing Umpiring In Any Matches and Create Your Self-Interest Towards The Game. After Getting In Touch With Local Association, Initially You May Be Allotted A Few Matches. Thus You Will Get Enrolled With The Local Assoc. All Important Is You Need To Accept Any Sr Umpire As Your Guru And Who Will Guide You Enough To Show The Correct Path Of Taking You To reach your goal. Purchase Tom Smith Cricket Scoring And Umpiring Book From Any Sports Boutique Or You Can Download From The Net. If You Are Found Good By The Assoc. You Will Start With Level-1 Exam To Make you Eligible For The Level-2 Exam, After That You Will Get Bcci Jr Tournaments.  You Need To Learn All 42 Laws And Additionally You Need To Have Better IQ And That Is As Good As Law No.43, I.E Common Sense. Level-1 Umpires Will Be Monitored By The Bcci Officials During Your Local Assignments. Level-1 Exam Is As Good As A Mock Test, For Which You Need Basic Rules Of The Game. You Need To Clear All These Exams Before I Guide You Further In This Regard. Bcci May Go For Professional Umpires In Near Future Looking At The Packages And Increasing Number Of Matches. All These You Need To Achieve Before You Reach The Age Of 30 To Prosper In This Field Like Simon Taufel Of Australia.

Have patience and great devotion to take up umpiring
Learn the cricket laws and start doing low level local matches
Enroll your name with your local association and if possible join the membership
As long as you are available and whatever opportunity comes in your way, you utilize the best of time for umpiring in local matches.
Be polite and keep yourself as low profile
Try to get in touch with best of Sr. Umpires around your association
Make any Sr. Umpire your Mentor (guru) to learn the primary lessons
Keep only one mentor and have good understanding with him
Read TOM SMITH’s Bible “Cricket Umpiring & Scoring “ latest edition which you can purchase from any sports boutiques or from Marine Sports, Mumbai
Read, understand and interpret all the laws. Keep noting down points for conclusive decision
Get the ‘catch’ word to understand the laws
Be ready to stand for 6  to 8 hours in scorching sun or in cold
Keep yourself fit for the job, physical fitness is as important as to a player
Umpire needs lots of concentration and good thinking
Must be thoroughly conversant with the rules and be sufficiently authoritative and diplomatic to carry out the role.
There are 42 laws you have to master but the most important is the Law No.43, and I.e., Common Sense
One must have good command over English language to take up umpiring exam and to have better communication with the players

Career always comes first and all such hobbies afterwards. See that you settle in your life and don’t treat umpiring as your bread and butter. But once you become a first class umpire then you can become professional umpire

I would advise you to stand in junior matches and local friendly matches where you would get to learn so many things and also keep on noting down certain doubtful questions over certain points to learn the same from your Sr. Umpires.
Be polite and uncontroversial throughout until you make your position in this field. Politics is a tough thing to be overcome.

Also get acquainted with certain local Sr. Umpires  who would help you to enroll your name in the list of Umpires of your Cricket Association.

I would also advise you that if you really want to take up umpiring seek any opportunity from other places like Gujarat, Saurashtra or any other association from the North, where you can settle down and achieve your dream, a bit easily.

Most important part is procedure of BCCI exam:
There will be 2 different level exams.
The eligible age criteria are 40 for both these exams.
The BCCI representative will conduct exam through your association for level-1 exam. After passing level-1 exam, you will stand in local matches of your association and your umpiring will be monitored randomly by the BCCI representative.

It is compulsory after passing level-1 exam, to do local matches.
There will be a gap of 2 to 3 years for the level-2 exam. Before that you will be trained by the local association before you take up level-2 exam. If you pass level-2 exam, you will be appointed for BCCI Junior tournaments. Depending on your performances in junior tournaments.
So, all you need is that you must learn to practice on the ground. Your practical experience will help you take to achieve your goal.

Never get involved in an argument with players during a game/tournament under your control.
Once a decision is taken, walk away without discussion.
Never criticize publicly any decision made by another umpire.
Be circumspect in advising players of rule infringements. Do not unnecessarily interrupt the game.
Act with authority. The umpire is the only judge on the terrain
Be conscious of the importance of your duties. The authority, surety and correctness of your decision will give confidence to the players and will avoid problems.
Yu must show no bias preference nor favour to any team or player, nor show any discrimination or malice to any team or player for any reason.
In the case of disagreement over the state of play n a game in which you are participating as a player, you must not dictate the state of play by using such phrases as : “I know the rules I am an umpire!” nor use your status of qualified umpire to coerce an opponent into complying with a decision.
Be fair and reasonable but firm at all times and always remember you are there for fair play. You are charged with the responsibility and authority to make decisions and recommendations for further actions.

Moreover, the umpires also have to maintain physical and mental fitness to stand in any situation that warrants.  Wish you all the best and hope you get the information you required.

Hope you get the best of information and my detailed answer would help you to achieve your goal. In the end be positive, be brave and be ambitious to achieve your goal. May God helps you to achieve your goal.

With regards

SUHAS SARPE (BARODA 09/01/2013)  

Suhas L Sapre

I can help to give all questions regarding cricket laws, rules on both umpiring and cricket scoring. It will be a great pleasure to help any candidate who wants to clear the exam of BCCI. I can guide him how the questions are asked and the way they should be replied. I can also conduct classes for Cricket umpiring and scoring anywhere. I look forward to educate and promote local umpires in the days to come. I would help them to get through BCCI Level 1 exam.

I have been a state panel cricket umpire and doing umpiring for last 40 years and also a BCCI official national scorer since 2004, having done many International ODIs played at Baroda and many first class matches in Baroda. I have passed many state panel exams in both categories.

I was serving with State Bank of India, as an Officer, posted at Bodeli branch, some 65 Kmts from Baroda, having taken promotion in August 2012. I was thereafter transferred to Pavi Jepur Br, some 90 kmts from Baroda on 20/12/2013. Recently I have taken VRS from Bank as after becoming an officer I was facing lot of problems regarding leave to attend BCCI matches as a scorer and also Local umpiring and thus hampering my sporting activities. Now to enable me to spare more time for my passion, I have opted for VRS and was relieved on 30/01/2016 and now will look forward to enjoy my passion in the remaining years.Look forward to remain busy with cricketing activities for next one decade and more.Look forward to help my cricket colleagues. Look forward to give off my best services to my passion, which has taught me many more things and now I feel I must contribute towards the local cricket association, i.e. Baroda Cricket Association with all love and enthusiasm in the coming years.I feel proud to take VRS for the sake of my passion. Its a great feeling that I have taken a bold decision in the wake of my passion which has given me enjoyment and physical fitness to enjoy the game of cricket in the the days to come. Now I feel myself as a free bird and no tension. Look forward to help budding umpires.

Earlier I used to write in local newspaper but thereafter time has not permitted me to do so. I give my views over the controversial topic.

I am a degree holder of Commerce and having a reputed banking job in Baroda. Recently due to some personal problems and to fulfil my love and passion for the game of cricket I have opted volunteer retirement from the Bank service to enable me to do BCCI matches as an Official scorer in first class matches. Taking promotion in Bank and expecting leave for the matches was a major problem and that is one of the reasons to quit bank ahead of cricket.

I have passed several examination of cricket umpiring at State levels. I passed Mumbai cricket Association as well as Baroda Cricket Associations state exams. I had also cleared national written test of BCCI, but unfortunately sheer bad luck in viva and practical. I have also stood first in the Scorers' state level examinations at Saurashtra, exam conducted by Saurashtra Cricket Association and also stood first in Mumbai Cricket Association's Scorers' exam. I further cleared the BCCI national exam in the year 1994 held at Ahmedabad. In all I have officiated as an Umpire in more than 3500 matches, including T20, ODI, 3-4-5/days matches, 6-aside, double wicket tournaments, single wicket tournaments, and many more festival events and charity matches. I have also officiated as an official scorer in many first class cricket matches as well as almost all ODI matches played at the IPCL/ Reliance Cricket ground in Baroda. In all I have officiated as an official scorer in not less than 300 matches. I have been appointed a Sports Secretary of SBI in Baroda (2010 to 2012) I have been elected as one of the Umpires' committee of Baroda Cricket Association on 23.04.2012 Looking forward to take care of local umpires and will try to educate them. Recently I was privileged to conduct a 3-day cricket Umpires seminar on 7 to 9 September, 2012 along with Shri Sanjay Hazare, BCCI Elite panel cricket umpire. This was my first ever experience to conduct a seminar, which had almost 60 participants. I am thankful to the Baroda Cricket Association for giving me this opportunity. I have been honoured on many occasions with awards and certificates for my best umpiring. Recently on 13th February, 2014, I was invited as a Chief Guest by Amrut School in Halol, to celebrate the Annual Sports Day of their school.