Cricket/No Ball

Hi Colin. Well, my question is what will happen if a bowler bowls a waist high delivery and the umpire calls it a no ball but eventually it hits stump?

Sujon Rahman

This is a contentious issue to which there has been no official answer.

It is generally accepted that a ball that passes above waist height and then hits the stumps must be a SLOW ball.  If it were medium paced, then it would not drop enough (unless deflected by the striker).  I am hoping someone can do some mathematics!

It is important for the umpire to protect the striker BUT there is no need to call "No Ball" very quickly (for beamers or bouncers).

Furthermore, I always teach umpires to think twice before doing anything, so he would not get into that situation.

It is permissible for the umpire to revoke his call although it is embarrassing for him to say that he first judged the ball as medium pace when it was actually slow.

PS Apologies for slow rsponse - I am travelling away from home with occasional access to internet.

Colin Pearson

Cricket umpiring and scoring. I can answer questions on MCC Laws of Cricket but not ICC and other special regulations, which are frequently changing. I cannot answer questions on careers as a cricket umpiring. For details of courses, visit (anywhere that has advertised), (UK only)

I passed The Association of Cricket Umpires and Scorers Full membership examinations in 1961 and have been an instructor since 1973, and examiner since 1977 and have undergone the first stage training as an Umpire Assessor for ECB Association of Cricket Officials. I was Chairman of Training Board for ACU&S from 1981 to 1997.

ECB Association of Cricket Officials British Computer Society Society of Expert Witnesses Chartered Institute of Arbitrators Rotary International

MA Hons Cantab 1966 DMS Part 1, 1975 Enterprise Reader (rtd), Staffordshire University)

Taylor Scholarship 1963 Life Vice President ACU&S 1998