Cricket/No ball for height

Hello Mr. Dutta,

For the past couple of months i am having a doubt of no-ball for height rule.  my question is, a bowler bowls a ball which bounces well above the batsman's head with the batsman in a standing position, the batsman reaches for it with his bat and hits the ball then is it a no-ball for height, or if the hit ball or snick is caught by a fielder or W-keeper is the batsman out or is he not out because it is a no-ball for height. Does the rule of no-ball for height come into play. Or is this simply called a wide ball which is going way above the head of the batsman.

This situation has happened many times when we play on Sundays and leads to arguments :-).  Please clarify my doubts on this. Thanks.

dear murthy,
         nice question asked.and do not get confused,if the ball directly goes into the batsmen without getting pitched above the waist line of the batsmen it is given a no-ball.
and if it pitches and bounces over the height of the batsmen it is given a wide,but if he goes onto it for hitting it and if anyone catches it the decision of giving out/not out depends on the height of the ball,if it is just above the head and not too far it is given out, if the batsmen has jumped a distance to hit the ball then it is umpire's call as it happened in the india vs pakistan series in which ishant sharma has bowled a big bouncer and shoib malik has jumped in the air to hit and was caught but the umpire's didn't declare him out.

get back to me if you have any more doubts.

Sai Datta

All Types Of Questions On laws Of Cricket,Umpiring And Scoring.And Also Can Help You In Your Cricket Career.Queries Related To The Laws Of The Game.Anyone Feel Free To Ask Me,Always Available !

I Played Many First Class Matches Representing Hyderabad.I Am A First Class Umpire,I Have Been Working As A Umpire In The Hyderabad Cricket Association For The Past 23 Years.And Worked At Past As A Scorer For About 2 Years.

Hyderabad Cricket Association

I Have Done My Graduation From Loyola Degree College.And Not Opted For Higher Studies For The Love Of Cricket And To Pursue My Career In This Field.

I Have Been Awarded With The Senior Most Umpire And Many State Awards for My Umpiring And have Several Sets Of Them.Having The Best Domestic Umpire From The BCCI For 7 Years.