Cricket/Bowler removing bails

In the current 4th ODI against India, Finn knocked the bails off at the the bowlers end on his delivery. The batsman was caught at slip but the umpire declared it a dead ball and so he was given not out. I have seen bails dislodged by the bowler many times but this is the first time I have seen it declared a dead ball. Is this correct?

This is not the first time.

MCC Laws do not require the umpire to call Dead Ball unless the striker is distracted.  Indeed before 2000, the Law explicitly mentioned this situation.

ICC have been tinkering with their special regulations ever since Finn did it at Headingly in early August.  One idea was to give a warning first time and dead ball second time BUT this has not proved popular.

A discussion can be found at  

Colin Pearson

Cricket umpiring and scoring. I can answer questions on MCC Laws of Cricket but not ICC and other special regulations, which are frequently changing. I cannot answer questions on careers as a cricket umpiring. For details of courses, visit (anywhere that has advertised), (UK only)

I passed The Association of Cricket Umpires and Scorers Full membership examinations in 1961 and have been an instructor since 1973, and examiner since 1977 and have undergone the first stage training as an Umpire Assessor for ECB Association of Cricket Officials. I was Chairman of Training Board for ACU&S from 1981 to 1997.

ECB Association of Cricket Officials British Computer Society Society of Expert Witnesses Chartered Institute of Arbitrators Rotary International

MA Hons Cantab 1966 DMS Part 1, 1975 Enterprise Reader (rtd), Staffordshire University)

Taylor Scholarship 1963 Life Vice President ACU&S 1998