Cricket/Umpiring Question

QUESTION: Respected Sir,

Is ball become dead after the call of Over , really is so ?

ANSWER: Dear Mayur Wankhede,

Hi Mayur, its nice asking a question.

The ball does become dead on the call of over. Normally umpire at the bowler's end will wait for both the team to cease to regard the ball in play before calling over, to avoid any controversy. And he will call 'over' only after confirming all the actions on the ground, practically an umpire should call 'over' loudly to make both the teams aware regarding the status of ball.

But even though the ball has become dead on the call of 'Over', it does not invalidate the appeal from being answered. An appeal is valid till the ball comes into play, and that the ball comes into play when bowler starts his run up or bowling action for a next delivery or first ball of a new over.

Hope this will clear your doubts.  Thanks again for your question. Get back to me for any doubtful points on umpiring.

With best wishes,

Suhas Sapre (Baroda 03/02/2013)

QUESTION: Respected Sir,

Its a perfect answer sir. thanks a lot.

Sir one doubt here:

i am refering the TOM SMITH . in this book while explaining the law 22.4 (Call of Over ) it is mentioned as 1st line towards explanation of this law that "Call of Over does not make ball dead".

Though its also mentioned that umpire shall wait for both parties to have to cease to regard it as play.

I too saw in many international matches that some of the umpire doesn't even let the played ball come into closing fielders hand or does'nt even let it come into wicket-keepers hand and started walking towards bowler to give him his equipments or calls over.

See this :

Again the recent example is from this last Ranji season.

after the call of over from bowlers end umpire, the Non striker end umpire Mr. Hariharan was counting the 6th ball looking at the counter and at the same time wicket keeper put down the wicket and appeals towards Hariharan. Mr. Hariharan got confused at this point and goes to 3rd umpire. This was the embarrassing moment for him.

Kindly give your comments on this.

So my 1st impression is Ball does not become dead after the call of Over BUT
"Umpire must wait for ball to become dead before calling the Over"
Do you agree with this ? Kindly correct me if i am going wrong somewhere.

Mayur Wankhade.

ANSWER: Dear Mayur,

Thanks for getting back to me and for that video clip. It was very nice of you to site an example with your question.

After looking at the referred video clip, its very clear that ball did not become dead. As soon as the batsmen took some evasive action, he happened to leave the crease just when the ball was on the way to the WK. Without waiting for a moment, the WK, threw down the wicket and the batsman was found outside the crease for no reasons. And he was rightly declared out 'Run out'.

As far as I am concerned it requires your practical  experience. When ball becomes dead it is always up to both umpires. But the call of over should be loud enough for both the sides to know that 'over' has been called and the ball becomes dead. On the 'call' of over the ball becomes dead except for that appeal, I already cleared in my earlier answer.

Whenever batsmen do not know the status of the ball, he should always take the permission (by word or action to either umpire or the fielding side)  for anything like tapping the pitch or going to exchange a few words with his partner.

When the call of 'over' comes and anything happens after that it should not be considered. But umpire must tactfully make the call of over.

Hope this is very much clear to you. Thanks again. With best wishes,

Suhas Sapre (07022013)

QUESTION: Respected Sir,

Thanks for such a nice explaination. I totally agree with you.
Will come back to again if i will arise with some more doubts while studying or while doing the local matches.

Mayur Wankhade.

Dear Mayur,

Its so nice of you and greatness of you to come out with questions regularly. I appreciate your love for the game and the keenness to know more about the game. I wish you to keep a diary with you when you officiate in any game. Whatever you come across of any incidents make it a practice to note it down in the diary so that you don't leave out anything to ask to me. I hope you will officiate in more and more matches and will gain a good experience which will take you to clime the peak.

With best wishes,

Suhas Sapre (Baroda 10022013)

Suhas L Sapre

I can help to give all questions regarding cricket laws, rules on both umpiring and cricket scoring. It will be a great pleasure to help any candidate who wants to clear the exam of BCCI. I can guide him how the questions are asked and the way they should be replied. I can also conduct classes for Cricket umpiring and scoring anywhere. I look forward to educate and promote local umpires in the days to come. I would help them to get through BCCI Level 1 exam.

I have been a state panel cricket umpire and doing umpiring for last 40 years and also a BCCI official national scorer since 2004, having done many International ODIs played at Baroda and many first class matches in Baroda. I have passed many state panel exams in both categories.

I was serving with State Bank of India, as an Officer, posted at Bodeli branch, some 65 Kmts from Baroda, having taken promotion in August 2012. I was thereafter transferred to Pavi Jepur Br, some 90 kmts from Baroda on 20/12/2013. Recently I have taken VRS from Bank as after becoming an officer I was facing lot of problems regarding leave to attend BCCI matches as a scorer and also Local umpiring and thus hampering my sporting activities. Now to enable me to spare more time for my passion, I have opted for VRS and was relieved on 30/01/2016 and now will look forward to enjoy my passion in the remaining years.Look forward to remain busy with cricketing activities for next one decade and more.Look forward to help my cricket colleagues. Look forward to give off my best services to my passion, which has taught me many more things and now I feel I must contribute towards the local cricket association, i.e. Baroda Cricket Association with all love and enthusiasm in the coming years.I feel proud to take VRS for the sake of my passion. Its a great feeling that I have taken a bold decision in the wake of my passion which has given me enjoyment and physical fitness to enjoy the game of cricket in the the days to come. Now I feel myself as a free bird and no tension. Look forward to help budding umpires.

Earlier I used to write in local newspaper but thereafter time has not permitted me to do so. I give my views over the controversial topic.

I am a degree holder of Commerce and having a reputed banking job in Baroda. Recently due to some personal problems and to fulfil my love and passion for the game of cricket I have opted volunteer retirement from the Bank service to enable me to do BCCI matches as an Official scorer in first class matches. Taking promotion in Bank and expecting leave for the matches was a major problem and that is one of the reasons to quit bank ahead of cricket.

I have passed several examination of cricket umpiring at State levels. I passed Mumbai cricket Association as well as Baroda Cricket Associations state exams. I had also cleared national written test of BCCI, but unfortunately sheer bad luck in viva and practical. I have also stood first in the Scorers' state level examinations at Saurashtra, exam conducted by Saurashtra Cricket Association and also stood first in Mumbai Cricket Association's Scorers' exam. I further cleared the BCCI national exam in the year 1994 held at Ahmedabad. In all I have officiated as an Umpire in more than 3500 matches, including T20, ODI, 3-4-5/days matches, 6-aside, double wicket tournaments, single wicket tournaments, and many more festival events and charity matches. I have also officiated as an official scorer in many first class cricket matches as well as almost all ODI matches played at the IPCL/ Reliance Cricket ground in Baroda. In all I have officiated as an official scorer in not less than 300 matches. I have been appointed a Sports Secretary of SBI in Baroda (2010 to 2012) I have been elected as one of the Umpires' committee of Baroda Cricket Association on 23.04.2012 Looking forward to take care of local umpires and will try to educate them. Recently I was privileged to conduct a 3-day cricket Umpires seminar on 7 to 9 September, 2012 along with Shri Sanjay Hazare, BCCI Elite panel cricket umpire. This was my first ever experience to conduct a seminar, which had almost 60 participants. I am thankful to the Baroda Cricket Association for giving me this opportunity. I have been honoured on many occasions with awards and certificates for my best umpiring. Recently on 13th February, 2014, I was invited as a Chief Guest by Amrut School in Halol, to celebrate the Annual Sports Day of their school.