Cricket/is keeper compulsory

Question
Dear Sir,
it may look silly. want to know if keeper is compulsory or  any point during  the
match ,can we use him as a fielder.
Thank You
Best Regards
Aravind

Answer
The Laws do not insist that you have a wicket keeper.

They merely allow one player to wear pads and gloves.

The Laws do not specify exactly where that player must stand
EXCEPT that he must not come in front of the wicket
UNTIL the ball has passed the wicket
OR the striker has hit the ball (or been hit by it)
OR the striker attempts a run

Cricket

Colin Pearson

Cricket umpiring and scoring. I can answer questions on MCC Laws of Cricket but not ICC and other special regulations, which are frequently changing. I cannot answer questions on careers as a cricket umpiring. For details of courses, visit http://nompere.proboards.com (anywhere that has advertised), www.ecb.co.uk/ecbaco (UK only)

I passed The Association of Cricket Umpires and Scorers Full membership examinations in 1961 and have been an instructor since 1973, and examiner since 1977 and have undergone the first stage training as an Umpire Assessor for ECB Association of Cricket Officials. I was Chairman of Training Board for ACU&S from 1981 to 1997.

ECB Association of Cricket Officials British Computer Society Society of Expert Witnesses Chartered Institute of Arbitrators Rotary International

MA Hons Cantab 1966 DMS Part 1, 1975 Enterprise Reader (rtd), Staffordshire University)

Taylor Scholarship 1963 Life Vice President ACU&S 1998