Cricket/significant move by the wicket keeper

QUESTION: Dear Mr.Suhas Sapre,

sir,  i have following queries. Here is the scenario, the wicket keeper is standing far behind the stumps for a medium pace bowler. The batsman steps out few yards in front of the wicket to play the ball. Seeing the batsman going out of the crease to play the ball the wicket keeper run towards the stumps before the batsman plays the ball or before the ball passes the stumps whatever it may be  collects the ball and  disloadges the bails and appeals for stumped out. my question is wheather the wicket keeper is allowed to make such a move in above cases or not.what is the role of umpire in such an point. call dead ball verbally or given the batsman out stumped. if the stiker's end  umpire is fail to notice such a movement by the wicket keeper does the square leg can call dead ball.

ANSWER: Hi Manesh,

Thanks for your question.

Whenever there is any significant movement by the WK, either umpire are authorized to call and signal 'Dead ball'. Call the captain and inform him. WK after the ball comes into play, can stand in his position, slight movement of one or two steps for adjusting his position is allowed, but he cannot take start or can run during the delivery before striker plays the ball, or the ball passes the wicket. The striker has every right to know the position of all the fielders before the ball comes into play and such movements are unfair in the game of cricket and either umpire should call and signal "Dead ball"

So here you can call and signal Dead ball, and give the batsman "Not out".

Hope this will boost up your confident when you come across such incident on the field of play.

Suhas Sapre (Baroda 20/10/2013)

QUESTION: Dear sir,

Thanks for your quick reply.But i have further queries regarding the timing of "Dead Ball" call by the umpire in above incident.
(1)if the umpires are allowed to call "Dead Ball" after the WK dislodges the bails or after ball becomes dead.

2.The wk makes significant move before batsman plays the ball and batsman scores a boundary and umpire calls Dead Ball for the unfair movement by the WK. I want to know runs scored by the batsman is added to the total score of the team or not.Wheather the bowler is required to ball extra deivery for the boundary scored for the dead ball.

ANSWER: Dear Manesh,

Thanks for getting back to me.

Umpires are the sole judges of fair and unfair play. Whenever they feel, something goes wrong at any point of time, they can interfere and talk to captain of the fielding side.  Here you have different situation to tackle by using your common sense. I would just practically advise you why should you call dead ball when either of these things happen? Why not, stop such significant movement by the Wk, when he errs for the first time, and why should you interfere with the game when you should not have. So here Law 43 is applicable, i.e. common sense. You must not call and signal dead ball, in both the above cases. Let the actions finish on that ball, let the game restart as normal again and you take the chance and try to bring it to the notice of the fielding side captain along with your colleague. If at all you knew the significant movement by the Wk, either umpires should call and signal "Dead ball" before the striker receives the ball, so that that ball is not counted in the over. But when incident takes place, try to avoid such unwarranted things.

Hope this will help you a lot. But a good question for the beginner and for experience.

With best wishes,

Suhas Sapre (Baroda 21/10/2013)

QUESTION: Dear sir,

Thanks for clearing my doubts. But still left something in my mind. I will elaborate further sir.Six runs are required off the last ball over of a match.Wk stands far behind the stumps for a medium pace bowler. Batsman comes out of the crease to receive the ball.WK senses that the bowler bowled a loosner and sure to be hit for a six deliberately makes significant move in order call a Dead Ball by the umpire.The umpire notices the wk's unfair act calls Dead Ball at the time of Batsman striking the ball for a six.What will be next. a win for the batting Team or extra ball for a Dead ball.I know these things may not happen in international cricket. But Happens in many local cricket all over the world .What prevails in this scenario 'Laws of cricket' or Common sense of Umpire or unfair act of WK.

Dear Manesh,

Don't confuse yourself. Here batsman hits the ball for a six, a winning shot, why should you bring yourself into the game for unrequired interruption? Here you do nothing call "Time"and remove the bails or stumps, your way.

If it is the last wicket and if the WK succeeds in getting batsman out "stumped", and unless you call dead ball before WK could do so, you have failed in your duty to call and signal "dead ball", and the match is lost by the batting side. The situation never arises on the last ball, as before that, you must have noticed significant movement by the WK and he as well as his captain must have been warned by both the umpires. Because, even after several warnings if WK causes to waste time by his such actions, resulting in calling either umpire 'Dead ball', you can bring the Law No.42 Unfair play, code of conduct, and thereby give penalty to the batting side. So you need not worry, such incidents rarely take place at the top level and if it happens you know how to stop them

So just go out and enjoy your umpiring without any tension. And thanks for your compliments and the encouraging words, they are like jewels in my treasure.

With best wishes,

Suhas Sapre (Baroda 25/10/2013)

Suhas L Sapre

I can help to give all questions regarding cricket laws, rules on both umpiring and cricket scoring. It will be a great pleasure to help any candidate who wants to clear the exam of BCCI. I can guide him how the questions are asked and the way they should be replied. I can also conduct classes for Cricket umpiring and scoring anywhere. I look forward to educate and promote local umpires in the days to come. I would help them to get through BCCI Level 1 exam.

I have been a state panel cricket umpire and doing umpiring for last 40 years and also a BCCI official national scorer since 2004, having done many International ODIs played at Baroda and many first class matches in Baroda. I have passed many state panel exams in both categories.

I was serving with State Bank of India, as an Officer, posted at Bodeli branch, some 65 Kmts from Baroda, having taken promotion in August 2012. I was thereafter transferred to Pavi Jepur Br, some 90 kmts from Baroda on 20/12/2013. Recently I have taken VRS from Bank as after becoming an officer I was facing lot of problems regarding leave to attend BCCI matches as a scorer and also Local umpiring and thus hampering my sporting activities. Now to enable me to spare more time for my passion, I have opted for VRS and was relieved on 30/01/2016 and now will look forward to enjoy my passion in the remaining years.Look forward to remain busy with cricketing activities for next one decade and more.Look forward to help my cricket colleagues. Look forward to give off my best services to my passion, which has taught me many more things and now I feel I must contribute towards the local cricket association, i.e. Baroda Cricket Association with all love and enthusiasm in the coming years.I feel proud to take VRS for the sake of my passion. Its a great feeling that I have taken a bold decision in the wake of my passion which has given me enjoyment and physical fitness to enjoy the game of cricket in the the days to come. Now I feel myself as a free bird and no tension. Look forward to help budding umpires.

Earlier I used to write in local newspaper but thereafter time has not permitted me to do so. I give my views over the controversial topic.

I am a degree holder of Commerce and having a reputed banking job in Baroda. Recently due to some personal problems and to fulfil my love and passion for the game of cricket I have opted volunteer retirement from the Bank service to enable me to do BCCI matches as an Official scorer in first class matches. Taking promotion in Bank and expecting leave for the matches was a major problem and that is one of the reasons to quit bank ahead of cricket.

I have passed several examination of cricket umpiring at State levels. I passed Mumbai cricket Association as well as Baroda Cricket Associations state exams. I had also cleared national written test of BCCI, but unfortunately sheer bad luck in viva and practical. I have also stood first in the Scorers' state level examinations at Saurashtra, exam conducted by Saurashtra Cricket Association and also stood first in Mumbai Cricket Association's Scorers' exam. I further cleared the BCCI national exam in the year 1994 held at Ahmedabad. In all I have officiated as an Umpire in more than 3500 matches, including T20, ODI, 3-4-5/days matches, 6-aside, double wicket tournaments, single wicket tournaments, and many more festival events and charity matches. I have also officiated as an official scorer in many first class cricket matches as well as almost all ODI matches played at the IPCL/ Reliance Cricket ground in Baroda. In all I have officiated as an official scorer in not less than 300 matches. I have been appointed a Sports Secretary of SBI in Baroda (2010 to 2012) I have been elected as one of the Umpires' committee of Baroda Cricket Association on 23.04.2012 Looking forward to take care of local umpires and will try to educate them. Recently I was privileged to conduct a 3-day cricket Umpires seminar on 7 to 9 September, 2012 along with Shri Sanjay Hazare, BCCI Elite panel cricket umpire. This was my first ever experience to conduct a seminar, which had almost 60 participants. I am thankful to the Baroda Cricket Association for giving me this opportunity. I have been honoured on many occasions with awards and certificates for my best umpiring. Recently on 13th February, 2014, I was invited as a Chief Guest by Amrut School in Halol, to celebrate the Annual Sports Day of their school.