Cricket/Career in Umpiring

Question
Hi Suhas,

My name is Kaivalya Phansalkar. Currently I am working for a multinational company in Pune. I am too much passionate about the game of cricket, as most of the people in India. I haven't played cricket on any competitive level due to some unavoidable reasons. But, I have gained sufficient amount of knowledge about this game over the period of time. I always watch pre and post match analysis for getting better & better knowledge about the game.

As I am looking forward to do something for cricket, my initial focus is on umpiring. So I want to ask you few questions ragarding umpiring procedure. They are as follow :

1. What is the 1st stage for giving an umpiring exam?
2. What type of skills are required to be an international umpire?
3. How much period it takes to reach at the international level?
4. if I start giving umpiring exams now, then for how much period  I can sustain my current job?
5. How much competition is involved in pursuing a creer in umpiring?
6. How much remunaration can a person get during the earlier stages of umpiring career?

Kindly answer all my questions one by one. Awaiting for your reply.

Thanks & Regards,
Kaivalya Phansalkar.

Answer
Hi Kaivalya,

Very good morning and a pleasant day ahead.

Thanks for your series of questions. I would answer them in brief and in order.

Any person can appear in local state panel exam, having enough knowledge about the game and coule of years of on field experience. But BCCI has set certain norms for their Level-1 exam, the minimum age is 25 and to end at the age of 40 years. So all local associations have got their Umpiring committee to educate local umpires by conducting seminars and exams before they become eligible for BCCI level-1 exam.

Quite a good on field experience, must have got remarkable points from local domestic BCCI tournaments, good personality, skill of better communication, passion and love for the game,
ready to learn from seniors and from every match, sound physical fitness to stand in any condition. And moreover low profile nature to beat any political issues. Silent is your strength.

Depends on your luck and hard work. It depends how quickly you jump from level 1 to level-3. How you master the theory and how you apply on the field of play. Its a matter of luck and hard work with all sincerity. Only your passion and dedication will make you achieve your goal in almost 10 years.

You have not mentioned your age but I presume you must have crossed 25. You have to get on with both the things simultaneously and must know how to balance your job and cricket. If you are well settled with the job and you have week end holidays then I don't think there will be any problem. Initially you must take care of your personal leave, they should keep reserved for good matches with the understanding with your Boss. We have in India, all the umpires and scorers are working and face various problems to get special leave sanctioned. Our sports body in India must interfere in this matter and special leave to sports person must not be ignored, when they are representing at national / International level.

Its a tough job and tough competition. But it is up to local cricket association to take care of those good umpires who are well learned persons and can have abilities to scale higher level standard of umpiring. Otherwise, everywhere, because of unemployment, people have started taking umpiring and scoring as their bread and butter. So let it be so, but skilled persons should be backed up in all respects, leaving politics aside.

It differs from association to association. But since all associations are pumped in lot of money from the BCCI, they should set a uniform remuneration all over India for all local matches so that there is no controversy. As of now, local umpires get from Rs. 500/ to Rs.2000/- per day and scorers too get an equal amount. I would opine that only novice umpires should be kept under observation for 3 consecutive cricketing seasons before they get at par remuneration along with their seniors. They must be handled with care and let us watch if they continue after 3 years. Novice umpires must be paid a half or 25% less amount of what they senior umpires earn.

Hope this is good enough in brief, otherwise its all long debatable issues and opinion differs from person to person but from an ordinary person to knowledgeable person. Certain committees must have know-how persons to handle all the issues related to certain subjects.

With best wishes,

Suhas Sapre (Baroda 01/12/2013)

Cricket

Suhas L Sapre