Cricket/Cricket Umpire as a career

Question
Hello Suhas,

Can u pls tell how much time it takes for becoming an umpire or different phases in umpiring staring fron the first exam till one reaches at International level.
Also, how much one can earn during this tenure.

Thanks in advance.

Answer
Dear Sanket,

This is a very tricky question but I must answer to satisfy your eagerness to know the path of becoming an umpire.

I would say it depends on individual. His playing experience, knowledge about the game and his personal skill like communication and judgment.

Its always a great added feature of having played and experienced some level of cricket, which will help you to follow and understand the Laws a bit easily. The Laws if you read, will be assumed as easy by the readers, but its not like that. Every time you read the Law with better understanding and using your personal Law of Common Sense, you will learn more about the game. Reading the rules, understand them, and its appropriate application on the field of play are very vital. An umpire who stands in a match has a different day. All days are not same like our own fingers. Sometime umpire has just to count 6 balls and faces nothing on the field of play but another day the same umpire is happened to give many judgments. So umpire must possess good qualities of concentration, and standing abilities for hours in any given atmosphere.

Talking about exams, I would say its a long process for last few years, and have become very very competitive. In earlier days, say a decade before, there used to be only one BCCI Ranji panel exam, after having cleared a state panel exam of your local association. There used to be 150 marks paper and one has to acquire 90% to pass the theory, before appearing for viva and practical that too you need to score 90%. Thats the end of it to become a bcci Ranji panel umpire, and after a few years of experience in BCCI matches, you are called for an interview to become an All India Umpire to get Test matches and ODIs.

But of late, the recruitment procedure has been changed and I am not sure how many months or years it will take to be an Umpire. Presuming you start with the age of 25, I would tell you as under for your information.

Age 25, You appeared in the Level-1 exam, conducted by your local association on behalf of BCCI.

If you fail, you can appear till you reach the age of 40.

If you clear level-1 on first attempt, you may be required to appear in the seminar cum qualifying exam to be eligible for Level-2 BCCI exam at Nagpur. You may get this chance almost after one year or within one year.

If you attend seminar and fail in qualifying test, you are out of the picture for ever and you can not reappear to become eligible for the level-2 exam. And you forget or quit umpiring unless you are unemployed and treat umpiring as your bread and butter at local level. So you are finished at local level.

Suggestion: To become eligible for Level-2 exam, candidate must be given at least 3 fair chances, otherwise  there is no future. If there is no goal to attain who will continue umpiring even at local level?

If you qualify for the level-2 exam, you have to again reappear in theory exam followed with viva and practical, this is also a lengthy process and I am not sure if these exams are finished within a year.

If you pass the level-2 exam then you are  eligible for first class matches in India. After 3 years or more, you are again called for the same procedure to become eligible for consideration in the ICC panel, and again after a couple of years you may dream for ICC Elite panel.

So if you start at the age of 25, and presuming you clear all exams without break, then you become level-2 umpire at the age around 30, after the age of 33 you may be considered for BCCI Gradation depending upon your performance, after a few years you may be considered for ICC panel. So you can dream a place in the ICC Elite panel after the age of 42 or 45..

This all process requires you to have full patience and you can convert this into hobby at the initial stage before becoming full fledged umpire.

Monetary wise, i would say a BCCI Ranji panel umpire can earn up to 3 to 4 lacs presuming at least 10 matches are given. After becoming A grade BCCI Umpire, you may hope for the double amount and after becoming an ICC Elite panel umpire, you may get handsome remuneration. So depending on your personal performance in the exams and matches, you can dream for a better career in umping.

Hope I have tried to give you some idea of becoming an umpire and how long it will take and how much you can earn out of it.

With best wishes,

Suhas Sapre (Baroda 10/11/2013)

Cricket

Suhas L Sapre