Cricket/MS Dhoni's wicketkeeping gloves

Nice rules question...I may have spotted MS Dhoni using illegal equipment live on TV in the last ODI v WI...(won by WI so no outcome issues).

In the TV footage, Dhoni is *very* clearly wearing w/k gloves that have the ring and little finger taped together by a loop of what looks like standard medical zinc oxide medical tape around *both* fingers. I checked several images and I am quite sure that the tape has not been placed around each finger individually. (I know, I left the border between sanity and obsessive spectrum behaviour some time ago to be even *noticing* things like this)

Law 40.2 states:

2. Gloves

If, as permitted under 1 above, the wicket-keeper wears gloves, they shall have no webbing between the fingers except joining index finger and thumb, where webbing may be inserted as a means of support. If used, the webbing shall be

(a) a single piece of non-stretch material which, although it may have facing material attached, shall have no reinforcements or tucks.

(b) such that the top edge of the webbing

(i) does not protrude beyond the straight line joining the top of the index finger to the top of the thumb.

(ii) is taut when a hand wearing the glove has the thumb fully extended.

See Appendix C

Appendix C refers to the first finger/thumb web and provides pictures.

Now...the presence of tape effectively creates a “web” between the last 2 fingers and even if it has been applied, as was likely, for medical reasons, I believe the tape renders the gloves illegal under Law 40.2. I understand that the “web” so created would be very small, perhaps even irrelevant as a WEB – but it would provide greater stability for a weakened finger included in the binding. This constitutes a material advantage disallowed under the Laws. The fact that you may apply tape to naked fingers for the purpose of supporting a weakened digit is irrelevant as naked fingers are not covered by Law 40.2 whereas gloves most definitely are.

Your opinion?

Hi Ewan,

Let me apologize for the delay in answering your question.

I have not witnessed what you have stated. But I will just tell the facts of how the WK's gloves should be.

Following pints to be remembered and mentioned in the Law book.

No webbing between the fingers

Single piece of non-stretch material between finger and thumb as a mean of support

and when a hand wearing the glove has the thumb fully extended , the top edge being taut and not protuding beyond the straight line joining the top of the index finger to the top of the thumb.

Hope this is clear. Sorry for the delay in answering your question. What Dhoni worn I have not seen and if it had happened it were the umpires who failed in their job of checking the equipments worn by the WK.

With best wishes,

Suhas Sapre (Baroda 15012014)

Suhas L Sapre

I can help to give all questions regarding cricket laws, rules on both umpiring and cricket scoring. It will be a great pleasure to help any candidate who wants to clear the exam of BCCI. I can guide him how the questions are asked and the way they should be replied. I can also conduct classes for Cricket umpiring and scoring anywhere. I look forward to educate and promote local umpires in the days to come. I would help them to get through BCCI Level 1 exam.

I have been a state panel cricket umpire and doing umpiring for last 40 years and also a BCCI official national scorer since 2004, having done many International ODIs played at Baroda and many first class matches in Baroda. I have passed many state panel exams in both categories.

I was serving with State Bank of India, as an Officer, posted at Bodeli branch, some 65 Kmts from Baroda, having taken promotion in August 2012. I was thereafter transferred to Pavi Jepur Br, some 90 kmts from Baroda on 20/12/2013. Recently I have taken VRS from Bank as after becoming an officer I was facing lot of problems regarding leave to attend BCCI matches as a scorer and also Local umpiring and thus hampering my sporting activities. Now to enable me to spare more time for my passion, I have opted for VRS and was relieved on 30/01/2016 and now will look forward to enjoy my passion in the remaining years.Look forward to remain busy with cricketing activities for next one decade and more.Look forward to help my cricket colleagues. Look forward to give off my best services to my passion, which has taught me many more things and now I feel I must contribute towards the local cricket association, i.e. Baroda Cricket Association with all love and enthusiasm in the coming years.I feel proud to take VRS for the sake of my passion. Its a great feeling that I have taken a bold decision in the wake of my passion which has given me enjoyment and physical fitness to enjoy the game of cricket in the the days to come. Now I feel myself as a free bird and no tension. Look forward to help budding umpires.

Earlier I used to write in local newspaper but thereafter time has not permitted me to do so. I give my views over the controversial topic.

I am a degree holder of Commerce and having a reputed banking job in Baroda. Recently due to some personal problems and to fulfil my love and passion for the game of cricket I have opted volunteer retirement from the Bank service to enable me to do BCCI matches as an Official scorer in first class matches. Taking promotion in Bank and expecting leave for the matches was a major problem and that is one of the reasons to quit bank ahead of cricket.

I have passed several examination of cricket umpiring at State levels. I passed Mumbai cricket Association as well as Baroda Cricket Associations state exams. I had also cleared national written test of BCCI, but unfortunately sheer bad luck in viva and practical. I have also stood first in the Scorers' state level examinations at Saurashtra, exam conducted by Saurashtra Cricket Association and also stood first in Mumbai Cricket Association's Scorers' exam. I further cleared the BCCI national exam in the year 1994 held at Ahmedabad. In all I have officiated as an Umpire in more than 3500 matches, including T20, ODI, 3-4-5/days matches, 6-aside, double wicket tournaments, single wicket tournaments, and many more festival events and charity matches. I have also officiated as an official scorer in many first class cricket matches as well as almost all ODI matches played at the IPCL/ Reliance Cricket ground in Baroda. In all I have officiated as an official scorer in not less than 300 matches. I have been appointed a Sports Secretary of SBI in Baroda (2010 to 2012) I have been elected as one of the Umpires' committee of Baroda Cricket Association on 23.04.2012 Looking forward to take care of local umpires and will try to educate them. Recently I was privileged to conduct a 3-day cricket Umpires seminar on 7 to 9 September, 2012 along with Shri Sanjay Hazare, BCCI Elite panel cricket umpire. This was my first ever experience to conduct a seminar, which had almost 60 participants. I am thankful to the Baroda Cricket Association for giving me this opportunity. I have been honoured on many occasions with awards and certificates for my best umpiring. Recently on 13th February, 2014, I was invited as a Chief Guest by Amrut School in Halol, to celebrate the Annual Sports Day of their school.