Cricket/Fielder

Question
Sir,
   can a fielder stand straight to the batsmen view of the ball i.e standing near the sight screen(from bowling end)

and can a fielder stand behind the keeper exactly straight to the wickets near the boundary line ?

Answer
Dear Sai Dutta,

Thanks for your question and sorry for the delay.

There is nothing in the Law book to prevent the fielder from fielding at the bottom or at the top. But by virtue of the discipline of the game and that to avoid breach of rules, it is advise that the fielder should not stand right at the bottom or at the top. Following are the reasons for this.

AT THE BOTTOM: If a fielder stands in front of the striker behind the bowler, it may disturb his views. When batsman stops to receive a delivery, when something goes wrong behind the sight screen, would you think that the batsman would allow that fielder to field in that position? His movements will definitely disturb his concentration. So the fielder at the bottom may stand just away from the life of the striker's views so that the game progresses smoothly.

AT THE TOP: This is very much related to No ball ruling on the onside behind the popping crease. The rule says that there should not be more than two fielders behind the popping crease on the onside, otherwise the striker's end umpire has to call 'No ball. Now think that there are already two fielders in this area and if one more fielder stands at the tip, what would you consider his position, whether he is on the off side or on the onside. To distinguish his position he may opt to stand at the top but not behind the wicket or WK, his position should be clearly visible to the striker's end umpire to enable him to call for the attention of the breach of the rule on the on side and to call No ball.

In addition to this, the bowler's end umpire may also get disturbed with his movement behind the WK.

So even though certain rules are not covered in the Law, we have to observe the values of the game and discipline of the game. Hope this will be good enough to satisfy on this.

With best wishes,

Suhas Sapre (Baroda 15/12/2013)

Cricket

Suhas L Sapre