Cricket/question related to exams of umpiring

Question
QUESTION: sir I am lekhak age 22.I would like to get in to the profession of umpiring how to register in state cricket associations?pls mention  frequency of exams?

ANSWER: Dear Lekhak,

Thanks for your question. To give you proper guidance you must inform your belonging to which place. What is your interest and how did you decide to take up a tough job of umpiring. Only then I will be able to guide you properly. Let me give your detailed information to guide you in the right direction.

Thanks and regards,

Suhas Sapre (Baroda 21/12/2013)

QUESTION: First of all thanks for your answer. I am belonging to bangalore karnataka and regarding my interest to do umpiring job is I am a very passinate about the game but unfortunately I didn't join to learn the game. So now I am desperate to associate with this game so pls tell me how can I reach there also specify is there any fee has to pay to get registered with KSCA

ANSWER: Dear Lekhak,

Thanks for getting back to me and that shows how eager you are to take up the challenging job of umpiring. I would advise you to follow my instructions given hereunder.

1. Since you have not played cricket, you must join some nearby club or you can play cricket with school boys.
2. Playing cricket is not compulsion but it will help you to follow cricket easily.
3. Many Engineer students take up umpiring and as they are brilliant in theory, they get through easily but they find it difficult when standing in matches.
4. You must stand in the nets of boys to get feel for doing umpiring.
5. You purchase a book of Cricket Laws, I would like you to  purchase Cricket Umpiring and Scoring by Tom Smith, which is a Bible of Cricket.
6. Read and understand the Laws and try to understand catch word.
7. The more you read the book the more you will learn from the book.
8. Register your name with the nearest local District / State cricket association at your place.
9. Start practicing umpiring in Junior cricket matches, friendly matches, club matches, before you stand in a competitive matches.
10. Try to get confidence by standing in practice matches.
11. Try to attend umpiring seminar and appear in the local exam, before you will be eligible for BCCI Level-1 exam which is very much due.
12. The age criteria for BCCI level-1 is from 25 to 40, and for Level-II, is up to 45.
13. You must have good command over English language or develop good communication skill.
14. You must possess sound health to stand for hours in any given condition.
15. You must have good writing practice to pass the exam.

There are still lot of things to follow, but at the moment you just try to follow the above instructions so that you will decide yourself about taking up umpiring. For any clarification on doubtful points I am here to guide you further in this regard. For any clarification, you can get back to me.

Wish you all the best.

Suhas Sapre (Baroda 27/12/2013)

QUESTION: Thankyou so much for u r guidence sir.
Is it free to register under state cricket board or I have to pay to get registered and after registration will state board will call us to do umpiring or I have to clear any exam to reach there. If any exams is there what is the frequency sir

Answer
Dear Lekhak,

Thanks for getting back to me.

You have nothing to pay for any registration. Registration is just enroll your name with the association with your all personal profile and knowledge about the game and that you want to serve the association. You must start umpiring  with club, school and junior matches in any tournament. The association will give you assignment with junior tournaments and on the basis of your performance and feed back from the cricketers you will get slowly and gradually senior matches.

So just develop your relation with the association and cricketing coaches and clubs for practice.

With best wishes,

Suhas Sapre (Baroda 29/12/2013)

Cricket

Suhas L Sapre