Cricket/over throw

A batsman played short to deep extra cover and come back for 2nd run mean while fielder picked up the ball and try to threw the ball towards the stumps but he thew it out the boundary ,while the ball went out of the ground batsman did not completed the 2nd runs(how many runs should be given to batsman?

Law 19.7 (iii) states that the run IN PROGRESS shall count only if the have CROSSED.

So it will be 5 or 6 runs depending on wherev the batsmen were at the INSTANT of the THROW.

Hopefully the umpire at the Striker's End will have had a good view and will be able to help his colleague.

Colin Pearson

Cricket umpiring and scoring. I can answer questions on MCC Laws of Cricket but not ICC and other special regulations, which are frequently changing. I cannot answer questions on careers as a cricket umpiring. For details of courses, visit (anywhere that has advertised), (UK only)

I passed The Association of Cricket Umpires and Scorers Full membership examinations in 1961 and have been an instructor since 1973, and examiner since 1977 and have undergone the first stage training as an Umpire Assessor for ECB Association of Cricket Officials. I was Chairman of Training Board for ACU&S from 1981 to 1997.

ECB Association of Cricket Officials British Computer Society Society of Expert Witnesses Chartered Institute of Arbitrators Rotary International

MA Hons Cantab 1966 DMS Part 1, 1975 Enterprise Reader (rtd), Staffordshire University)

Taylor Scholarship 1963 Life Vice President ACU&S 1998