Cricket/To Get answer

Sir My Question Is ... If the ball hits the pad first and then the bat and the fielder catches the ball irrespective of lbw..can the batsman be given caught out..?

I think one of your friends has already asked a similar question.  I gave the following answer:

Law 32.1 states:-
The striker is out Caught if a ball ... touches his bat without having previously been in contact with any fielder, and is subsequently held by a fielder as a fair catch before it touches the ground.

It makes no mention of hitting the striker's person first.  Consequently that fact can be ignored and the striker is out caught in the usual way.

Sometimes it is a bat-pad situation, which is fair.  Sometimes it jumps off his toe and hits his bat held a metre off the ground - which is very bad luck!  

Colin Pearson

Cricket umpiring and scoring. I can answer questions on MCC Laws of Cricket but not ICC and other special regulations, which are frequently changing. I cannot answer questions on careers as a cricket umpiring. For details of courses, visit (anywhere that has advertised), (UK only)

I passed The Association of Cricket Umpires and Scorers Full membership examinations in 1961 and have been an instructor since 1973, and examiner since 1977 and have undergone the first stage training as an Umpire Assessor for ECB Association of Cricket Officials. I was Chairman of Training Board for ACU&S from 1981 to 1997.

ECB Association of Cricket Officials British Computer Society Society of Expert Witnesses Chartered Institute of Arbitrators Rotary International

MA Hons Cantab 1966 DMS Part 1, 1975 Enterprise Reader (rtd), Staffordshire University)

Taylor Scholarship 1963 Life Vice President ACU&S 1998