Cricket/No ball and Leg byes

Respected Sir,

1) In a current over , bowler delivers the 1st short pitched ball which goes above head height of the batsman. Is this No ball or wide ball ?

2) Is there is any question of whether striker attempted a shot or not on a NO Ball ? If its a NO ball and striker don't attempt shot then are leg byes are allowed ?

Mayur Wankhade.

High short-pitched balls - Under current MCC Law 42.6 (a)ii, this is a No Ball.  I believe ICC have introduced a special regulation making it a Wide Ball.  Indeed prior to 2000, MCC said it was a Wide!

No Ball & Leg Byes - The principle in Law 26.2 about legbyes applies to No Balls in the same way as fair deliveries.  The only difference is that the runs are recorded as No Balls.

Colin Pearson

Cricket umpiring and scoring. I can answer questions on MCC Laws of Cricket but not ICC and other special regulations, which are frequently changing. I cannot answer questions on careers as a cricket umpiring. For details of courses, visit (anywhere that has advertised), (UK only)

I passed The Association of Cricket Umpires and Scorers Full membership examinations in 1961 and have been an instructor since 1973, and examiner since 1977 and have undergone the first stage training as an Umpire Assessor for ECB Association of Cricket Officials. I was Chairman of Training Board for ACU&S from 1981 to 1997.

ECB Association of Cricket Officials British Computer Society Society of Expert Witnesses Chartered Institute of Arbitrators Rotary International

MA Hons Cantab 1966 DMS Part 1, 1975 Enterprise Reader (rtd), Staffordshire University)

Taylor Scholarship 1963 Life Vice President ACU&S 1998