Cricket/Out Bowled

Question
QUESTION: Respected Sir,

Considering the following,

If bowler delivers a ball , not being a NO ball and striker played it with the forward defense and ball stops on the pitch in front of the striker. ( consider the ball is stationary now )

Scenario,

The ball is still in play , so non striker calls him for a run after which he decided to send the striker back . While going back to (striker's end) ground he(striker) has left, striker by mistake hits the ball with his boot which goes to the wicket and wicket is now fairly put down by the ball.

My question is does the striker is out ? if out then what would be the method of dissmisal.

My first impression is that this scenario fits perfectly in the definition of the Out Bowled. But would like to have your stand on this considering fair/unfair play and further clarification on Law 30 : Bowled.

Thanks,
Mayur Wankhade.

ANSWER: Dear Mayur,

Thanks for your question and I am extremely sorry for the delay due to hectic annual work.

Ball is stationery after having played it. For a Run out dismissal, a contact from a fielder is very much required.

Hence, batsman has happened to accidentally kick the ball which in the process hits and fairly puts down the striker's stumps, the striker cannot be run out.

This is much of a hypothetical question. No matter ball is fair or not, the batsman is Not out . Hence no question of dismissal.

If the ball is played in the air and while taking run, if that ball happens to land on the pitch and goes to hit the stumps then he is out bowled.

Hope no confusion. Enjoy. Thanks again for asking questions and learning more things.

With best wishes,

Suhas Sapre (Baroda 07/03/2013)

QUESTION: Respected Sir,

Thanks for the clarification ,

The scenario i have mentioned in which after playing the ball , it stops infront of the striker and while returning back into his ground he accidently kicked that ball onto his wickets

1) So does the the ball was not in play, since it was stationary ??? ( if you remember i have mentioned that batsmen tried for a run , so ball must be in play )

2) If the ball was still in play then , why can't it be a out Bowled case ?  in which you require the ball in play and striker's end wicket fairly put down by the ball without intervention of any player.

3) Technically it fits in the Bowled definition , But does he not out bowled just because the ball stops moving and after that whatever contact with the ball by the striker was not intentional ?

Yes , this is much of hypothetical , but we will never know on which day this will happen to us while officiating , since this scenario is pretty much achievable on the field of play. So its better for me to be ready with my guns armed before enemy's attack.

kindly give the answers of my above questions, i am ready to wait sir , and there is nothing to say sorry for the delay , this is the we manage our professional work with hectic schedule and knowledge transfer about the game of cricket.

Thanks,
Mayur Wankhade.

Answer
Dear Mayur,

Thanks for getting back to me for some confusion.

First of all I would consider this a very hypothetical question, as it has never happened in our 30 years of career.

If the batsmen having played the ball, stays on the pitch stationery, now what will happen any fielder including bowler will try to pounce on the ball to get either batsman run out. As the ball was on the pitch stationery, the batsmen should run outside the pitch as they cannot run on the pitch.

For a bowled it should have been one action of having played with the bat, and immediately the ball either hits the person of the striker before going on to the stumps, then he is bowled and not for stationery ball which would wait for the either batsman to kick it on to the stumps.

This is more of a hypothetical question and such question has no place in the real exam.

Hope you may or may not like this but these are the facts.

With regards,

Suhas Sapre (baroda 11/03/2013)

Cricket

Suhas L Sapre