Cricket/Catch off fielders protective equipment

Question
I am aware that a batsmen cannot be given out caught if ball strikes a fielder's helmet and is subsequently caught. With the advent of shin guards for close in fielders what is the rule if a batsmen drives the ball into a shortleg's shins, that are protected by shin pads, and deflects to another fielder on the full.  Is it a fair catch?  Or is it not a fair catch because the fielding team received an advantage from a fielders protective equipment?

Thanks

Answer
As the Law stands, then it is a fair catch.

A fielder is not allowed to wear EXTERNAL protective gear (except helmet) but can wear anything underneath his clothing.

I think it would be difficult to ask umpires to inspect players more closely!  

Cricket

Colin Pearson