Cricket/Caught Out

Respect Sir,

Is the striker can be caught out , if the fairly delivered ball first hits his person and then hits his bat/glove(holding the bat) and then subsequently catch by the fielder?

What is there in MCC's law and ICC playing conditions regarding the same?

Mayur Wankhade.

Law 32.1 states:-
The striker is out Caught if a ball ... touches his bat without having previously been in contact with any fielder, and is subsequently held by a fielder as a fair catch before it touches the ground.

It makes no mention of hitting the striker's person first.  Consequently that fact can be ignored and the striker is out caught in the usual way.

Sometimes it is a bat-pad situation, which is fair.  Sometimes it jumps off his toe and hits his bat held a metre off the ground - which is very bad luck!  

Colin Pearson

Cricket umpiring and scoring. I can answer questions on MCC Laws of Cricket but not ICC and other special regulations, which are frequently changing. I cannot answer questions on careers as a cricket umpiring. For details of courses, visit (anywhere that has advertised), (UK only)

I passed The Association of Cricket Umpires and Scorers Full membership examinations in 1961 and have been an instructor since 1973, and examiner since 1977 and have undergone the first stage training as an Umpire Assessor for ECB Association of Cricket Officials. I was Chairman of Training Board for ACU&S from 1981 to 1997.

ECB Association of Cricket Officials British Computer Society Society of Expert Witnesses Chartered Institute of Arbitrators Rotary International

MA Hons Cantab 1966 DMS Part 1, 1975 Enterprise Reader (rtd), Staffordshire University)

Taylor Scholarship 1963 Life Vice President ACU&S 1998