Cricket/Law 1 : The players And Law 2: Substitue

Question
Respected Sir ,

After studying the laws( 1 and 2) my 1st impression/interpretation is that.

MY INTERPRETATION :

(1) the Substitute for a player - ( in which opposing caption has no say ) &
(2) replacement for the nominated player - ( in which umpires have no say)

are the two different things.

The (1)st contains some restrictions on the role of substitute at the same time opposing captain can't object the substitute. These terms are mentioned clearly in the law 2.

The (2)nd consist of official replacement of nominated player with another player on paper with the consent of opposing captain after the nomination of players.
(Role of umpires in this activity is not mentioned in law 1. nor the terms of such replacement)

Otherwise, if any captain gives permission when the play is already in progress after start of match,  then i personally feel that it will be a breach to the spirit of the game.

MY FIELD TECHNIQUE :
I used to take nominations of players from captains well from 10-15 min before the 30 min remains for the game to start. Toss need to take place at 30-15 min limit before the scheduled start. Prior to this myself with my colleague agree each and every thing with the captains well before the toss.
I used to take lead in these activities.
But never thought of such a right of opposing captain and terms of it. I wanted to discuss with them(captains) about this replacement for nominations here onwards so that any embarrassing moment will not come for me while officiating in future.   

Questions now :

(1) Now keeping in mind the (2) above , what terms i should explain to both the captions towards replacing the on paper nominated player?

(2) If this is possible then, how many replacement allowed? ( ofcourse genuine reasons must be there )

(2) What time limits are there for such a replacement, even if the opposing captain is ready to give permission for this ?  

Kindly correct me if my interpretation or field technique about these laws are wrong.
Let me know the correct interpretations and field technique.

Thanks,
Mayur Wankhade.

Answer
Dear Mayur,

Law:2 Substitutes & Runners......

This is one of the most important Law, after Law: 42 Unfair play. One need to read and understand these two laws with greater care.

You have referred to two specific words, Substitute and Replacement. Certain rules / Laws are there, but they hardly take place on the ground but still they are laid down in the book of Law.
We have mostly come across Substitute Law rather then replacement. Have you ever come across any thing related to replacement in competitive cricket? No, but it is very much there.

Substitute rule has been modified so often. Of late, the Runners are scrapped from this Law. Any fielding side can ask for a substitute by right, i.e. from the time of nomination to the end of the match, which is including on and off the field.

If after the nomination if a fielder is hurt for some reasons, his captain can ask for a substitute by right. The opposing side can not object to any fielder to act as substitute nor he can object to his fielding in any position, except Wicket Keeping.A substitute can be claimed by right, provided the umpires are satisfied. Secondly if umpires are satisfied for a wholly acceptable reason, they can allow a substitute for a fielder who is happened to be a Doctor and called for his emergency services.

Replacement can be sought even after the toss. If for example, a fielder is called away for the death of his relative and is not expected to return, the captain of the fielding side might ask for a permanent replacement. If the request is granted, that fielder can take a full part in the match, irrespective of the involvement of the fielder who just left. The replacement can be sought from the list of nominated players only.

Substitute can be claimed by right and no permission of the opposing captain is required, but replacement can be sought with the permission of the opposing captain, that he has even a right to deny, too.

So substitute has a limited role of fielding for a injured fielder and cannot bat or bowl or can keep wicket. But that injured player can still take part in the game. While replacement can also take full part in the game, as if he is a nominated player.

The replacement can be sought generally in the earlier part of the game and not when a match is at the closing stage. There are no limitations on number of replacement can be sought and there is no time bar laid down in the book of Law.

It does not happen in a competitive game, but can happen at local level.

Hope this will clear your doubts or you can get back to me for further clarifications.

Suhas Sapre (Baroda 22032013)

Cricket

Suhas L Sapre