• Home
  • Sports
  • Cricket
  • Cricket
  • Law 2 : Substitutes and runners; batsman or fielder leaving the field; batsman retiring; batsman commencing innings

Cricket/Law 2 : Substitutes and runners; batsman or fielder leaving the field; batsman retiring; batsman commencing innings

Respected Sir ,

Consider a scenario, ( occurred with me while officiating one of the match )

If any player is get injured or become ill well before nomination and he is the main player of his team and his captain is in plan to nominate him and thinking of using substitute for him for fielding.

That time i didn't allow his nomination as he was not fit well before the nomination. The Law depicts the allowance for substitute in case of unfitness after the nomination on paper only

what best practice i should follow in future regarding the same, or what i did was fair enough?

following is my understanding towards allowance of substitute and waiting time calculation of substituted player to bowl :

1) The injury , illness or other wholly acceptable reasons are just towards judging the substitute shall be allow or not. AND it DOES NOT mean that such substituted player will be allowed to bowl directly if his captain wanted him to do so immediately after he joins his side on field.
The waiting time( to bowl) should be calculated for such players also.

2) In case of player goes for National emergency or player's family crises ( towards the other wholly acceptable cases as mentioned in the law) ,

I will allow him to bowl directly in case of (2) and not in case of (1) I am right ?
Or in this case also the waiting time ban will be there on player on that present day, as next days play swipe out the slate clean.

It is nothing mentioned in law in which case to ban in which not.

Its just mentioned that which are the acceptable cases law(2.1) for the allowance of substitute and which not. And law (2.5) says that how the waiting time to be calculated but does'nt mentioned in which cases there is no need to calculate. ( i.e no need to ban the substituted player )

The good example of this is , Virat Kohali leaved the field due to family crises and i think when he came back umpires allowed him to bat/bowl whatever immediately after he joins.

Kindly give let me know if my above interpretation of the law is wrong.

Mayur Wankhade.

Dear Mayur,

Thanks for good question.

When you know a fielder is already injured/ hurt / unfit before the nomination of the team, you need not say anything before the toss. At the time of toss,you must clarify that if a player is already injured before the nomination of the players he is not entitled for any substitute. Either you field with 10 or with 11 (i.e. without substitute).

You straightaway refuse a substitute if they asked. And if he is permitted a substitute, don't allow him to bowl immediately but instead, you treat his absent time as penalty time before allowing him to bowl.

The incident of Virat Kohi, you have cited above is a perfect case, where the reasons are wholly acceptable, and umpires must permit him to bowl immediately.

Players who are externally injured, can be allowed to bowl immediately, but the players who get cramps or some other unacceptable reasons, can be punished and they should not be allowed to bowl until they are on the field for that much period of time for which they were absent.

So it is clear for umpires, when to deny and when to allow, bowling, after his return on to the field of play.

With regards,

Suhas Sapre (Baroda 22022013)

Suhas L Sapre

I can help to give all questions regarding cricket laws, rules on both umpiring and cricket scoring. It will be a great pleasure to help any candidate who wants to clear the exam of BCCI. I can guide him how the questions are asked and the way they should be replied. I can also conduct classes for Cricket umpiring and scoring anywhere. I look forward to educate and promote local umpires in the days to come. I would help them to get through BCCI Level 1 exam.

I have been a state panel cricket umpire and doing umpiring for last 40 years and also a BCCI official national scorer since 2004, having done many International ODIs played at Baroda and many first class matches in Baroda. I have passed many state panel exams in both categories.

I was serving with State Bank of India, as an Officer, posted at Bodeli branch, some 65 Kmts from Baroda, having taken promotion in August 2012. I was thereafter transferred to Pavi Jepur Br, some 90 kmts from Baroda on 20/12/2013. Recently I have taken VRS from Bank as after becoming an officer I was facing lot of problems regarding leave to attend BCCI matches as a scorer and also Local umpiring and thus hampering my sporting activities. Now to enable me to spare more time for my passion, I have opted for VRS and was relieved on 30/01/2016 and now will look forward to enjoy my passion in the remaining years.Look forward to remain busy with cricketing activities for next one decade and more.Look forward to help my cricket colleagues. Look forward to give off my best services to my passion, which has taught me many more things and now I feel I must contribute towards the local cricket association, i.e. Baroda Cricket Association with all love and enthusiasm in the coming years.I feel proud to take VRS for the sake of my passion. Its a great feeling that I have taken a bold decision in the wake of my passion which has given me enjoyment and physical fitness to enjoy the game of cricket in the the days to come. Now I feel myself as a free bird and no tension. Look forward to help budding umpires.

Earlier I used to write in local newspaper but thereafter time has not permitted me to do so. I give my views over the controversial topic.

I am a degree holder of Commerce and having a reputed banking job in Baroda. Recently due to some personal problems and to fulfil my love and passion for the game of cricket I have opted volunteer retirement from the Bank service to enable me to do BCCI matches as an Official scorer in first class matches. Taking promotion in Bank and expecting leave for the matches was a major problem and that is one of the reasons to quit bank ahead of cricket.

I have passed several examination of cricket umpiring at State levels. I passed Mumbai cricket Association as well as Baroda Cricket Associations state exams. I had also cleared national written test of BCCI, but unfortunately sheer bad luck in viva and practical. I have also stood first in the Scorers' state level examinations at Saurashtra, exam conducted by Saurashtra Cricket Association and also stood first in Mumbai Cricket Association's Scorers' exam. I further cleared the BCCI national exam in the year 1994 held at Ahmedabad. In all I have officiated as an Umpire in more than 3500 matches, including T20, ODI, 3-4-5/days matches, 6-aside, double wicket tournaments, single wicket tournaments, and many more festival events and charity matches. I have also officiated as an official scorer in many first class cricket matches as well as almost all ODI matches played at the IPCL/ Reliance Cricket ground in Baroda. In all I have officiated as an official scorer in not less than 300 matches. I have been appointed a Sports Secretary of SBI in Baroda (2010 to 2012) I have been elected as one of the Umpires' committee of Baroda Cricket Association on 23.04.2012 Looking forward to take care of local umpires and will try to educate them. Recently I was privileged to conduct a 3-day cricket Umpires seminar on 7 to 9 September, 2012 along with Shri Sanjay Hazare, BCCI Elite panel cricket umpire. This was my first ever experience to conduct a seminar, which had almost 60 participants. I am thankful to the Baroda Cricket Association for giving me this opportunity. I have been honoured on many occasions with awards and certificates for my best umpiring. Recently on 13th February, 2014, I was invited as a Chief Guest by Amrut School in Halol, to celebrate the Annual Sports Day of their school.