Cricket/Timed out and umpires awarding the match

Question
QUESTION: Respected Sir,

1) what things need to check or what procedure need to adopt if the incoming batsman makes delay more than 3 min to take the guard to be ready at other end so that his partner will be ready to receive the next delivery and the fielding side makes appeal ?

2) How to respond to such an appeal ?

3) If, for the mentioned batsman the decision is justified as out when the batsman come on field to bat, then what what will be the
procedure for the next batsman if he too make delay to come on to the field ?

4) what things to follow , if possible consideration of refusal of play comes true ? what is protracted delay in this case ?

Thanks,
Mayur Wankhade.

ANSWER: Dear Mayur,

This is a very good question and is covered under Law-31, Timed out. This Law is very much there to avoid unnecessary waste of time. I have not come across any such incident. But the Law is very much required to make the cricketers aware that how quickly they have to reach to the wicket when a wicket falls. This is applicable to all format of games except T20-format, where a batsman has to make to the crease in 90 seconds.

Law 31 of the Laws of cricket provides that an incoming batsman must be in position to take guard or for his partner to be ready to receive the next ball within three minutes of the fall of the previous wicket. If this requirement is not met, the incoming batsman will be given out, timed out, on appeal.

The "incoming batsman" may be any batsman who has not yet batted. There is no prescribed batting order in cricket. If no batsman has set foot on the field when the appeal is made, the batting captain may pick any player who has not yet batted as the one to be given out.[1] As a result, if the next batsman was only slightly delayed, the captain would be expected to sacrifice his worst batsman—usually the No. 11.

If there is protracted delay in which no batsman comes to the wicket so that the umpires consider that the batting team is refusing to play, the umpires will award the match to the other team. If, however, no player comes to the wicket because all eligible players are unable to bat (e.g. through injury or illness) then they are not given out timed out; instead the innings is declared closed and 'absent ill/injured/hurt/dead[2]' is noted next to those players' names as appropriate.

A new shortened version of cricket, Twenty20 cricket, stipulates that a batsman must be on the field within 90 seconds, rather than the three minutes specified in the Laws. As a result of this rule, rather than sitting in the pavilion, the batsman next in are positioned on a bench on the boundary rather like other team sports such as association football and rugby.

It is both the umpires who have to confirm the elapsing of 3 minutes. In fact, they have to note down the time of fall of each wicket, to enable them to decide if the next batsman arrives late and takes more than 3 minutes.

Within 3 minutes the next batsman has to reach to the crease and be ready to take strike or if not, his colleague must be ready to take the strike.

But fielding side feels 3 minutes have been elapsed, they can appeal to the bowler's end umpire. On appeal both umpires will check with their timing. When they decide 3 minutes have been elapsed, they will wait for  the next batsman to step on tho the field of play, and then the bowler's end umpire will declare him 'Timed out'.

A batsman cannot be given out until his innings has started. The umpires must therefore ensure that the next batsman is on the field of play when giving the decision out.

If no batsman appears at all, umpires must not allow play to be held up for too long. There may be reasons of such delay first. Batting side may be refusing to play. As per Law 21.3, they must investigate the reason of delay. The ball was dead when last wicket fell and umpire must have the possession of the ball.

Now before leaving the ground, 'Time' must be called, as the prolonged delay is to be considered as interruption. The time lost for such investigation will be counted after 3 minutes have been elapsed since last wicket fell.

If NO Appeal is made, it will now be too late. Umpires will visit the pavilion to discover the cause of delay.

(i) If action considered a refusal warn, captain
   If action persists, award the match to the fielding side, under refusal to play

(2) If action not considered a refusal
   Set time for play to resume
   Jointly calculate time lost

The time taken to probe the matter is called "Investigation time", which shall be counted from the call of 'Time" to the next call of "Play". This investigation time will be added before the normal close of time. The scheduled close of time will be revised. On the last day, the same will be added before the last hour begins. The  last hour accordingly will be rescheduled.

If appeal is made,

It must be answered and an incoming batsman is to be given out, whether play continues or not.
The umpires will so inform the captain of the batting side. The captain will decide which batsman is out. The scorers should also be informed.

After a batsman is dismissed "Timed out" as above, the next 3 minutes will start from the time of appeal was upheld. And from that point of time 3 minutes will be counted for the next batsman.

(4) Refusal of play is covered under Law-21.3, (Umpires awarding a match)
A match shall be lost by a side which

either  (i) concedes defeat
      (ii) in the opinion of umpires refuse to play and umpires shall award the match to the other side.

Hope this will clear your all doubts and this will be a great help to you. Still you have any doubts, please get back to me.

With best wishes,

Suhas Sapre (Baroda 20/03/2013)

QUESTION: Respected Sir,

Thank you for such a wonderful explanation. The youngsters expect the same from their Gurus in their early carrier.

I wanted to clear certain things now

For No appeal made scenario :

1) So when 3 minutes time has elapsed, and umpires considers that the delay is too much then to investigate the cause of such delay they will leave the ground calling "TIME" , and since TIME has been called any appeal made after that will not be valid, RIGHT ?

2) so in this case if the reason for cause of delay is acceptable then we will add this investigation time to end of days play and no batsmen will be TIMED OUT since appeal was not made within its time limit (i.e before calling TIME by bowler's end umpire) , RIGHT ?

For appeal made scenario :

1) In this case if the after the elapse of 3 min of time ( and no batsmen appear on field), fielding side made an appeal then umpire will cross check with each other that 3 min time has elapsed or not , if elapsed they will consider the appeal , RIGHT ?

2) now taking into mind that appeal is valid and 3 min time has elapsed, so appeal must have to answer irrespective of any investigation , RIGHT ? ( i mean why batsman got delay , he slides down the pavilion staires or get it difficult to come on field due to other acceptable reasons)

3) My concern here is , even if 3 min elapsed and appeal is valid , but on the other side batsman's delay reason is also valid and acceptable , then what to do ?

4) umpires must need to wait for the incoming batsman to come on to field as batsman innings commence when he first steps on to the field , right?

5) who ever come , give him out , note down the time for next 3 min calculation, RIGHT ?

6) If no one come , go for investigation calling TIME and kipping in mind that one of remaining batsman is out for sure and ask captain who is that one and now note down the three min time for next TIME OUT calculation , RIGHT ?

Sorry for too many questions , the thing is these questions will arise only when you are on the way to understand the things and intentions behind the law .

I have asked 2 questions for the NO APPEAL scenario and 6 for the APPEAL MADE scenario , it will be very great if you answer all those in same sequence giving the numbering , so that all my corresponding doubts will be cleared.

Thank you ,
Mayur Wankhade.

ANSWER: Dear Mayur,

For No appeal made scenario :

The new batsman or the other batsman should have been ready to take the striker, before 3 minutes are elapsed from the time of the last wicket falls. If no new batsman is appeared, the fielding side will have to appeal to the concerned umpire, who will note down the time of appeal and will meet his colleague to confirm the time of appeal. As this is one of the joint decisions, the umpires will be required to visit the pavilion to know who is the next batsman to enable them to declare him out 'Timed out". So only after appeal, the umpires will call Time and will visit the pavilion. Further appeal only will be made once the play restarts, otherwise, the scenario will be different and it will be considered as "Refusal to play" and the awarding the match to the fielding side.

In the umpires consider that an action by any player or players might constitute a refusal by either side, then they will after agreeing with each other, consult both the captains and will inform them the repercussions of not continuing play and if the situation persists, the umpires shall award the match to the other side. Here no appeal is required only umpires feel that there is protracted delay in the game, they will act accordingly.

Yes, there is no need for umpires to wait for appeal in the above case. But after agreeing to resume and the umpires feel that there is a considerable time lost,and the actions of either side was unintentional, they will adjust the lost time before the end of the day's play. The Investigation time here will be considered from the initial action (i.e. from the call of "Time:) of the umpires till the "play" is called.

For appeal made scenario :

•   There must be an appeal to dismiss the next batsman, taking longer than 3 minutes.

•   Both Umpires should note down the time of fall of last wicket. In fact the timing of each batsman’s dismissal should be noted accurately by both the umpires so that when situation arises they must be ready to decide on “Timed out” dismissal. When there is an appeal they must check and ascertain the time of fall of a last wicket. The bowler’s end umpire will then give the incoming batsman out “Timed out”and will again note down the time of the fall of this wicket. 3 minutes for a new batsman to take striker starts immediately from this time.

•   A batsman cannot be given out, unless he enters the field of play, unless “Time”has been called. The umpire must thereafter ensure that the next batsman is on the field of play when giving the decision out. He must wait if necessary until the next batsman steps onto the field of play.

2) now taking into mind that appeal is valid and 3 min time has elapsed, so appeal must have to answer irrespective of any investigation , RIGHT ? ( I mean why batsman got delay , he slides down the pavilion stairs or get it difficult to come on field due to other acceptable reasons)

•   Umpires cannot wait for too long, if a new batsman does not appear at all. This action may be considered as refusing to play. The ball has become dead since the fall of last wicket and is in the custody of one of the concerned umpires. Now before leaving gthe ground, the concerned umpire shall call “Time” before proceeding to the pavilion, as the prolonged delay is to be considered as an interruption. This interruption time starts after 3 minutes have been elapsed.

•   Even though a new batsman is out, he cannot be dismissed. The umpire sole concern will be whether there has been a refusal to play or not.

Umpires will have to consider the following two different situations:

[1} Discover the cause of play

If actions considered as refusal, warn the captain
      If actions persist, award the match to the fielding side
      Otherwise play continues.

{2} If actions not considered a refusal

Set a time for play to resume
     Jointly calculate lost time, from the expiry of 3 minutes until “Play”  resumes,         
     close of play on that day to be put back by that length of time

Inform the scorers.

If appeal is made it must be answered. In an addition to a possible refusal of play, a batsman is out and will be dismissed, whether play continues or not. The umpire will so inform the batting side captain. The captain will decide which batsman is to be given out,

Hope I have tried to clear your all doubts and this will satisfy your all queries. I will also get back to your other questions in a few days. Please bear with me for the delay.

With regards and best wishes

Suhas Sapre (Baroda 0506/2013)

QUESTION: Respected Sir,

Thanks a lot for clearing my queries. And yes , i will wait for you to answer my other questions.
I would like to ask you that "How many times you have given any batsman timed out and how many times in your career you have awarded the match ?"

i guess this NO will be a single digit and probably below 5 only :)

thanks ,
Mayur Wankhade

Answer
Dear Mayur,

I appreciate your eagerness to know the facts regarding certain Laws. But there are many Laws which are not required to apply in cricket, but to avoid any controversy, they are parked and to be used in certain emergencies. Law:20 LOST BALL, is one of the Law. This has happened to me once in my whole career, when the played by the batsman lost withing the field of play in the local cricket tournament, and when batsmen completed 12 runs and when captain of the fielding side approached me and asked, Sir, what could be done, ball was not traceable. I had to intervene in the matter and just told him what to do. Then finally he declared "Lost ball". This happened because that was the fist match after monsoon and the mowing work work was not carried out in time. After all the fielding side retrieved the ball from within the field of play.

Awarding the match, would have happened once, but interference from officials, it had not happened. "Timed Out" has never happened to me, and in the history will tell you rest of the things regarding these particular Laws.

Provision of certain Laws are just there to take care of any emergency case.

Suhas Sapre (Baroda 9/06/2013)

Cricket

Suhas L Sapre