If a wicketkeeper in attempting to run out a batsman/woman and his/her foot is touching the return crease while the stumps are broken with the bats/woman clearly out of their ground, is this out?

I am not quite sure whose foot is touching the return crease.

HOWEVER the Return crease is not relevant to anything other than the Bowler.

If the keeper has one foot on the Return Crease, then (s)he may be able physically reach the wicket to break it.  This is permitted.

If the batsman's foot is touching the Return Crease, then (s)he is probably in his/her ground.

To be in his Ground, then some part of his (bat in hand) or PERSON must be grounded behind the Popping Crease.

If the Popping Crease is marked correctly then it is further from the centre line than the Return Crease.  Consequently the marking of the Return Crease will only be visible at the back - within the batsman's ground.of the Return Crease.  

Colin Pearson

Cricket umpiring and scoring. I can answer questions on MCC Laws of Cricket but not ICC and other special regulations, which are frequently changing. I cannot answer questions on careers as a cricket umpiring. For details of courses, visit (anywhere that has advertised), (UK only)

I passed The Association of Cricket Umpires and Scorers Full membership examinations in 1961 and have been an instructor since 1973, and examiner since 1977 and have undergone the first stage training as an Umpire Assessor for ECB Association of Cricket Officials. I was Chairman of Training Board for ACU&S from 1981 to 1997.

ECB Association of Cricket Officials British Computer Society Society of Expert Witnesses Chartered Institute of Arbitrators Rotary International

MA Hons Cantab 1966 DMS Part 1, 1975 Enterprise Reader (rtd), Staffordshire University)

Taylor Scholarship 1963 Life Vice President ACU&S 1998