Cricket/Career as Cricket Umpire

Question
Dear Mr. Sapre,
Greetings of the day!!

I have been playing cricket since very long in schools and collages. however in recent past playing cricket has been stopped. I have a very strong desire for becoming a cricket umpire. Currently I am 39 and stays in Pune. I would request you to guide/assist me for making me familiar to the process / courses and exams for becoming a cricket umpire.
Please also let me know which cricket association in Pune or Mumbai will be useful?
I would also like to know the contact details of anyone of ur acquaintances from these associations.

Thanking you in anticipation.

kind regards,

Avinash Puranik

Answer
Dear Avinash,

Thanks for your interest and love for the game of cricket and that you have decided to take up umpiring.

You are 39 and I regret you may miss the bus. As age criteria for BCCI Level-1 is 40 and for Level-2 is 45. I am also afraid if there is a level-1 exam, taking place in a short period. In fact it is very much due this year, provided BCCI decides to conduct. But you must be ready for a last but golden chance, if it happens before you cross 40. Besides this, you must register your name with either Mumbai or Maharashtra Crickt Association. Maharashtra would be a better choice since Mumbai has a long list of umpires and you might not get a chance.

I presume you have been doing umpiring and must have registered your name with either association. This is must to appear in the exam. If you are not registered with either association, you must do it soon with a written application and brief resume.

If you are a settled person in your personal career then it does not matter whether you become an umpire or not. I am telling you this because you are already 39. But if you need to earn a bread and butter and yet not settled with  your personal career, it can still be better to join the umpiring group, which will help you to earn your bread and butter. This is all subject to your interest and love for the game and how much you know about the game of cricket. Because cricket umpiring is a tough and challenging job, which requires both physical and metal fitness to stand in scorching sun for hours together.

So don't miss the bus. Just do what I said. Once you do this and if you find any possibility of level-1 exam, get back to me I am here to guide you  to clear your exam.

May Almighty helps you to get a fair chance, and you need to score 90% marks at the very fist and last attempt to qualify for the level-2 exam. So work hard, get in touch with senior umpires and just each out the 42 Laws from Bible "Tom Smith".

With best wishes,

Suhas Sapre (Baroda 27/03/2013)

Cricket

Suhas L Sapre