Cricket/cricket

Question
A wide ball after hitting the keeper helmet which is not in use of keeper crosses the boundary line.How many runs scored on that ball?? And why??

Answer
The call of Wide ball immediately adds ONE to the score.

Law 25.6. All runs completed by the batsmen or a boundary allowance, together with the penalty for the Wide, shall be scored as Wide balls. Apart from any award of 5 penalty runs, all runs resulting from a Wide shall be debited against the bowler.

When the ball hits a helmet on the ground, then FIVE Penalty Runs are added to the score.

Law 41.3. If a protective helmet belonging to the fielding side is on the ground within the field of play, and the ball while in play strikes it, the ball shall become dead, and 5 penalty runs shall then be awarded to the batting side, in addition to the penalty for a No ball or a Wide, if applicable.

TOTAL SIX runs.

In the unlikely event that the batsmen have run and crossed before ball hits helmet, then that run counts as well.

Cricket

Colin Pearson