Cricket/Law no 3 and 4 : correctness of scores

Question
QUESTION: Respected Sir,

I have some doubts about the correctness of scores

1) Whoes primary responsibility is this ? ( correctness of the scores )

2) what procedure umpire should adopt in case they consider the runs scored are incorrect ?

3) consider a scenario : Team A need 136 to win , scorers said 4 to win from 4 , team A won on the last ball scoring only 4 runs considering 136 target has reached , no overs remain now.
But after returning from the field it was cleared that Team A scored only 134 , they are still 2 runs short but the overs are correctly counted and not a single ball remain to bowl.

What to deal with such scenario ?
( Here overs are completed , if there are still some balls/overs left then we could ask the player to come back to filed to complete the match unless , Team B captain concedes defeat.)

4) What is the best practice to avoid such mis-scoring ?

Thanks,
Mayur Wankhade.

ANSWER: Dear Mayur,

Thanks again for good question. I will answer them in order.

1) Whose primary responsibility is this ? ( correctness of the scores )

Law:3:15- CORRECTNESS OF SCORES:

It is practically a joint duty of both Scorers and Umpires. But whenever there is a discrepancy in the scores, Umpires need to check and correct it. Every now and then umpires must be agree with the scorers that scores are tally. There are always two scorers appointed for each match and they must agree with them regarding the correctness of scores. Normally umpires come into the picture when there is a mistake or there is a disagreement between two scorers. Umpires will go through the scores and will correct accordingly.

Couple of years back this had happened to me in a local premier game and I had to correct the scores and target.

Umpires must tally the total score with the scores of all batsmen plus Extras and penalties. Secondly all runs conceded by the bowlers plus fielding extras, i.e. Byes and leg byes, and penalties. (This is excluding No balls and Wide balls) If they don't tally, umpires need to correct accordingly.

There are two things to remember, when the mistake is found in the scores.

First, mistake is occurred, when there is no time nor balls left in the game and the side  batting last has completed its innings, the umpires will correct the scores and will declare the result which will stand and shall be accepted by both the teams. That result cannot be challenged later on at any stage.

Secondly when the mistake has occurred and time or balls are left in the game.

If, after the players and umpires have left the field in the belief that the match has been concluded, the umpires discover that a mistake in scoring has occurred which affects the result then, they shall call upon the players to resume the game, if the batting last has not completed its innings and either,

i. the number of overs to be bowled in the last hour, or in that innings, has not been completed, or

ii. the agreed time for close of play, or for the end of the innings, has not been reached

Both umpires and scorers must agree with the scores, at the end of each interval or interruption, at the end of the day's play and at the end of innings, to avoid any such incident. In local matches, the umpires need to be very agile on check. If otherwise, in first class matches, there is a rare occasion of such happenings. Because now a days all matches are done on computers and now BCCI appoints online scorers. So Umpires need to be careful in local matches where manual scorers are doing duties.

Hope this will clear your doubts. Thanks for your questions, they are really worth answering. Thanks to Dhuleti festival's holiday, which provided me free time to answer pending questions.

In the end wish you happy and colourful Holi. With best wishes,

Suhas Sapre (Baroda 27/03/2013)

QUESTION: Respected Sir,

questions become genuine when they come from experience packages.
On each and every weekend i am doing local matches here at pune.
Also will be getting some good matches now.
You are enjoying to answer my questions, its honour for me.
Thanks a lot.
Happy holy to you too.

Thanks,
Mayur Wankhade

ANSWER: Dear Mayur,

Thanks for keeping me alert on cricket umpiring and that I am enjoying too, refreshing my knowledge about the game. Its a wonderful for me to answer questions. And I thank this yahoo experts services to provide me an opportunity and platform to reach out to people like you. Thanks for your lovely words and appreciating my services.  I am meeting wonderful people through this yahoo experts. My dream is that some other day, my followers will reach to the ICC panel, and may be that I like to see you there with your hard and honest work.

With best wishes,

Suhas Sapre (Baroda 2/04/2013)

QUESTION: Respected Sir,

Definitely sir, I am trying my level best to reach there, it's not only my passion but while doing this job I get the utmost satisfaction to serve the governing body with my skills. I am a software engineer and earning a good amount every month but what satisfaction level I am achieving on the field is beyond anything.
I am putting my all efforts towards my aim each and every day! Hope I will be there definitely on the field with ICC jersey and hat ! will require your support and blessings at all the times to achieve that mark. One day I definitely gonna meet you and surprise you.

Thanks,
Mayur Wankhade.

Answer
Dear Mayur,

Hope you to be my dream of umpire and I will be proud for that. I like to see you at the peak in near future. I am sure you will attain your goal with all your hard and honest work. Keep on reading Laws. I also advise you to down loan open manual and read it and study it.

With best wishes,

Suhas Sapre (baroda 19/04/2013)

Cricket

Suhas L Sapre