Cricket/Law 39: Stumped out

Respected Sir ,

This scenario is one of my on field experience packages :)

Striker misses the ball , collected my wicket-keeper how was standing near to the wickets . suddenly striker leaves his ground for this wicket keeper waited waited waited and bang on to the stumps . i was at striker end only.

On appeal I have raised my finger. Striker looked stunned with this. May be he either was not aware of this or he might have considered the ball become dead but he didn't argue , he felt guilty and walked back.

I reported this as a stumped to the scorers as there was no rum attempt and no other fielders participation in putting the wicket down.

i would like to have your experience words on this scene.

Happy Holly !

Thanks in advance,
Mayur Wankhade.

Dear Mayur,

Excellent job. Nothing wrong. What you knew about the rule is perfect. Not attempting to run and no fielder is involved in the action means the batsman is out 'Stumped'.

Striker should not leave the crease immediately. Ball becomes dead when it reaches the gloves of Wicket Keeper. But this does not mean that the striker should relax and can move. He must be ready to face any prompt action after the ball is gathered by the WK. But the ball remains in play until the actions of the striker become normal.

One incident had happened to me when a non striker left the crease to say a word of advice to the striker the moment he played and missed the ball. The WK threw down the wicket at the Non striker's wicket, and I had to give that non striker out "Run Out".

Normally when a ball is gathered by WK, the striker always will walk down to tap the pitch or will do a bit of gardening, he  will always make the fielding side, particularly to the WK or the striker's end umpire aware by action. This is considered that he is permitted to do so and then cannot be given out.

WK will always wait even for striker to lift his back foot to get him out stumped.

Hope this will help you.

With regards,

Suhas Sapre (Baroda 27/03/2013)

Suhas L Sapre

I can help to give all questions regarding cricket laws, rules on both umpiring and cricket scoring. It will be a great pleasure to help any candidate who wants to clear the exam of BCCI. I can guide him how the questions are asked and the way they should be replied. I can also conduct classes for Cricket umpiring and scoring anywhere. I look forward to educate and promote local umpires in the days to come. I would help them to get through BCCI Level 1 exam.

I have been a state panel cricket umpire and doing umpiring for last 40 years and also a BCCI official national scorer since 2004, having done many International ODIs played at Baroda and many first class matches in Baroda. I have passed many state panel exams in both categories.

I was serving with State Bank of India, as an Officer, posted at Bodeli branch, some 65 Kmts from Baroda, having taken promotion in August 2012. I was thereafter transferred to Pavi Jepur Br, some 90 kmts from Baroda on 20/12/2013. Recently I have taken VRS from Bank as after becoming an officer I was facing lot of problems regarding leave to attend BCCI matches as a scorer and also Local umpiring and thus hampering my sporting activities. Now to enable me to spare more time for my passion, I have opted for VRS and was relieved on 30/01/2016 and now will look forward to enjoy my passion in the remaining years.Look forward to remain busy with cricketing activities for next one decade and more.Look forward to help my cricket colleagues. Look forward to give off my best services to my passion, which has taught me many more things and now I feel I must contribute towards the local cricket association, i.e. Baroda Cricket Association with all love and enthusiasm in the coming years.I feel proud to take VRS for the sake of my passion. Its a great feeling that I have taken a bold decision in the wake of my passion which has given me enjoyment and physical fitness to enjoy the game of cricket in the the days to come. Now I feel myself as a free bird and no tension. Look forward to help budding umpires.

Earlier I used to write in local newspaper but thereafter time has not permitted me to do so. I give my views over the controversial topic.

I am a degree holder of Commerce and having a reputed banking job in Baroda. Recently due to some personal problems and to fulfil my love and passion for the game of cricket I have opted volunteer retirement from the Bank service to enable me to do BCCI matches as an Official scorer in first class matches. Taking promotion in Bank and expecting leave for the matches was a major problem and that is one of the reasons to quit bank ahead of cricket.

I have passed several examination of cricket umpiring at State levels. I passed Mumbai cricket Association as well as Baroda Cricket Associations state exams. I had also cleared national written test of BCCI, but unfortunately sheer bad luck in viva and practical. I have also stood first in the Scorers' state level examinations at Saurashtra, exam conducted by Saurashtra Cricket Association and also stood first in Mumbai Cricket Association's Scorers' exam. I further cleared the BCCI national exam in the year 1994 held at Ahmedabad. In all I have officiated as an Umpire in more than 3500 matches, including T20, ODI, 3-4-5/days matches, 6-aside, double wicket tournaments, single wicket tournaments, and many more festival events and charity matches. I have also officiated as an official scorer in many first class cricket matches as well as almost all ODI matches played at the IPCL/ Reliance Cricket ground in Baroda. In all I have officiated as an official scorer in not less than 300 matches. I have been appointed a Sports Secretary of SBI in Baroda (2010 to 2012) I have been elected as one of the Umpires' committee of Baroda Cricket Association on 23.04.2012 Looking forward to take care of local umpires and will try to educate them. Recently I was privileged to conduct a 3-day cricket Umpires seminar on 7 to 9 September, 2012 along with Shri Sanjay Hazare, BCCI Elite panel cricket umpire. This was my first ever experience to conduct a seminar, which had almost 60 participants. I am thankful to the Baroda Cricket Association for giving me this opportunity. I have been honoured on many occasions with awards and certificates for my best umpiring. Recently on 13th February, 2014, I was invited as a Chief Guest by Amrut School in Halol, to celebrate the Annual Sports Day of their school.