Cricket/law 5 : the Ball

Question
Respected Sir,

1) What things need to get in mind while considering the deterioration of the match ball ?

2) How to judge the after seeing the condition of the ball, whether its a tampering case or it was just the natural wear n tear of the ball (e.g it hits the fence or any hard object etc )

3) while changing the ball what things to consider for replacement? ( e.g dent , seam , surface , ball age etc. )

Thanks,
Mayur Wankhade.

Answer
I think experience is the answer to early question is experience.

Do keep looking at the ball regularly and you will see steady deterioration OR sudden change after big hit or landing on concrete.  Seam lifting should be obvious, rough one side, smooth the other is more difficult to detect.

When changing ball in most domestic games, it depends on what other balls are available!  Even in ECB Premier Leagues there is rarely more than two or three spares available.  Just try to choose nearest to old ball prior to damage.

Cricket

Colin Pearson