If a batsman leaves a wide ball to a fast bowler , does not attempt a run but if he was on the crease can he be run-out if the wicket keeper hit the stumps.

Law 25 makes it quite clear that a Wide Ball does NOT offer any protection to the Striker.  he can be out in any way that is physically possible - compatible with being a Wide (eg he cannot be bowled, caught, LBW, hit ball twice)

Para 8 says "When Wide ball has been called, neither batsman shall be out under any of the Laws except 33 (Handled the ball), 35 (Hit wicket), 37 (Obstructing the field), 38 (Run out) or 39 (Stumped)."

If the keeper puts the wicket down without the intervention of another fielder and the striker is not attempting a run, then he is out Stumped.  If it had been a No Ball, then this would be Not Out.

If another fielder is involved, then he is Run Out.

Colin Pearson

Cricket umpiring and scoring. I can answer questions on MCC Laws of Cricket but not ICC and other special regulations, which are frequently changing. I cannot answer questions on careers as a cricket umpiring. For details of courses, visit (anywhere that has advertised), (UK only)

I passed The Association of Cricket Umpires and Scorers Full membership examinations in 1961 and have been an instructor since 1973, and examiner since 1977 and have undergone the first stage training as an Umpire Assessor for ECB Association of Cricket Officials. I was Chairman of Training Board for ACU&S from 1981 to 1997.

ECB Association of Cricket Officials British Computer Society Society of Expert Witnesses Chartered Institute of Arbitrators Rotary International

MA Hons Cantab 1966 DMS Part 1, 1975 Enterprise Reader (rtd), Staffordshire University)

Taylor Scholarship 1963 Life Vice President ACU&S 1998