Cricket/dead ball

Batsman completes one run but a throw form a fielder hits his bat and the ball gets reflected. He further attempts one more run. In such a situation should the umpire call dead ball or not?

If the ball accidentally hits the bat, then the umpire should allow play to continue.

Law 25 Dead Ball does not list this as one of the occasions when the umpire should call.

Prior to 2000 revision, the Law explicitly listed this as being NOT Dead - but that list was omitted from later versions.  Tom Smith's Cricket Umpiring and Scoring does explain this in more detail - also MCC's Open learning Manual -,833,AR

Colin Pearson

Cricket umpiring and scoring. I can answer questions on MCC Laws of Cricket but not ICC and other special regulations, which are frequently changing. I cannot answer questions on careers as a cricket umpiring. For details of courses, visit (anywhere that has advertised), (UK only)

I passed The Association of Cricket Umpires and Scorers Full membership examinations in 1961 and have been an instructor since 1973, and examiner since 1977 and have undergone the first stage training as an Umpire Assessor for ECB Association of Cricket Officials. I was Chairman of Training Board for ACU&S from 1981 to 1997.

ECB Association of Cricket Officials British Computer Society Society of Expert Witnesses Chartered Institute of Arbitrators Rotary International

MA Hons Cantab 1966 DMS Part 1, 1975 Enterprise Reader (rtd), Staffordshire University)

Taylor Scholarship 1963 Life Vice President ACU&S 1998