Cricket/Law 26 and Law 34

QUESTION: Respected Sir ,

can you please clear me the concepts of runs allowed/disallowed for leg byes and ball lawfully struck more than once ?

i would like to discuss this topic with you, to get through understanding on the same.

ANSWER: Dear Mayur,

I am extremely sorry for kept you waiting. These laws are very debatable still I would brief you on these Laws. After going through this you may get back to me for any queries.

Law:26: BYE / LEG BYE

Leg byes is a bit simple concept of allowing and disallowing runs. This of course you will learn by experience. If in the opinion of the bowler's end umpire, the batsman has not attempted to make genuine attempt to play the ball, leg byes are not allowed. For example, chucking his bat behind the pad, showing he has attempted to play, shoulders arm to leave the delivery, these are considered as deliberate padding. But avoiding an injury and taking evasive actions are considered as favourable attempts for allowing leg byes.

If the batsmen take run from a deliberate padding, umpire should wait till the first run is completed or till the ball crosses the boundary, to call and signal dead ball. This give the fielding side a chance of run out either batsman. And request the batsmen to return to their original ends.

Only runs are allowed from over throw. If throw is made before the batsmen cross, that run will be counted and if they have crossed when throw is made, the first run will not be counted.

Following three conditions must be observed for hit the ball twice.

(i)If the first strike, the umpire is satisfied that

either (i) the ball first struck the bat
or     (ii) the striker attempted to play the ball with his bat
or    (iii) the striker attempted to avoid being hit by the ball,

then the batting side shall be credited with any runs for penalties that may be applicable.

Secondly, if the conditions above are met, if any runs result form an overthrow, any runs result may be credited to the striker's account. If the first strike was on the person of the striker, then the runs will be scored as leg byes or No ball extras as appropriate.

The umpire has to make two judgments whether the second strike was lawful, and that it was intended solely for the sole purpose of guarding his wicket.

Please come out specifically with any difficult situation arises out of these and get back to me please.

With best wishes,

Suhas Sapre (Baroda 23/06/2013)

QUESTION: Respected Sir,

Thanks for such wonderful explanation after which there hardly any window remain to ask you further questions as you have covered all the important points of student's interest.
Though i was thinking for a while and thought about one of the following scenario.

Consider that first strike was with strikers pad when he attempted to play the ball with his bat, then he lawfully made second strike with the ball to protect his wickets being put down by the ball with this bat and then ball subsequently....

1) hits the fielding side helmet placed on the ground , will 5 penalty runs be awarded to batting side ? ( my ans is YES )
2) ball is caught . ball didn't grounded between the 1st and 2nd strikes ,   what will happen ? ( my ans : on appeal i will dismiss striker out : Caught OUT)

kindly give your views on the above two cases.
also correct me if I am wrong with my answers.

Mayur Wankhade.

Hi Mayur,

Very good morning.

1. Yes, 5 penalty runs will be awarded to the batting side, presuming first strike was not deliberate padding.

2. Yes, the striker is out, irrespective of deliberate padding or not. First strike is on the pad, the ball balloons up in the air and about to hit the stumps, the striker attempts to prevent that ball from going into the stumps, manages to scoop the ball in the air and catch is taken by close in fielder, he is out 'caught' since the ball has never grounded from the first strike till the catch is made.

Its nice of you to learn a small piece of doubt that is your greatness and passion for the game. Thanks again for your continuous learning process with me, it also helps me to refresh my knowledge about the game.

With regards,

Suhas Sapre (Baroda 30/06/2013)

Suhas L Sapre

I can help to give all questions regarding cricket laws, rules on both umpiring and cricket scoring. It will be a great pleasure to help any candidate who wants to clear the exam of BCCI. I can guide him how the questions are asked and the way they should be replied. I can also conduct classes for Cricket umpiring and scoring anywhere. I look forward to educate and promote local umpires in the days to come. I would help them to get through BCCI Level 1 exam.

I have been a state panel cricket umpire and doing umpiring for last 40 years and also a BCCI official national scorer since 2004, having done many International ODIs played at Baroda and many first class matches in Baroda. I have passed many state panel exams in both categories.

I was serving with State Bank of India, as an Officer, posted at Bodeli branch, some 65 Kmts from Baroda, having taken promotion in August 2012. I was thereafter transferred to Pavi Jepur Br, some 90 kmts from Baroda on 20/12/2013. Recently I have taken VRS from Bank as after becoming an officer I was facing lot of problems regarding leave to attend BCCI matches as a scorer and also Local umpiring and thus hampering my sporting activities. Now to enable me to spare more time for my passion, I have opted for VRS and was relieved on 30/01/2016 and now will look forward to enjoy my passion in the remaining years.Look forward to remain busy with cricketing activities for next one decade and more.Look forward to help my cricket colleagues. Look forward to give off my best services to my passion, which has taught me many more things and now I feel I must contribute towards the local cricket association, i.e. Baroda Cricket Association with all love and enthusiasm in the coming years.I feel proud to take VRS for the sake of my passion. Its a great feeling that I have taken a bold decision in the wake of my passion which has given me enjoyment and physical fitness to enjoy the game of cricket in the the days to come. Now I feel myself as a free bird and no tension. Look forward to help budding umpires.

Earlier I used to write in local newspaper but thereafter time has not permitted me to do so. I give my views over the controversial topic.

I am a degree holder of Commerce and having a reputed banking job in Baroda. Recently due to some personal problems and to fulfil my love and passion for the game of cricket I have opted volunteer retirement from the Bank service to enable me to do BCCI matches as an Official scorer in first class matches. Taking promotion in Bank and expecting leave for the matches was a major problem and that is one of the reasons to quit bank ahead of cricket.

I have passed several examination of cricket umpiring at State levels. I passed Mumbai cricket Association as well as Baroda Cricket Associations state exams. I had also cleared national written test of BCCI, but unfortunately sheer bad luck in viva and practical. I have also stood first in the Scorers' state level examinations at Saurashtra, exam conducted by Saurashtra Cricket Association and also stood first in Mumbai Cricket Association's Scorers' exam. I further cleared the BCCI national exam in the year 1994 held at Ahmedabad. In all I have officiated as an Umpire in more than 3500 matches, including T20, ODI, 3-4-5/days matches, 6-aside, double wicket tournaments, single wicket tournaments, and many more festival events and charity matches. I have also officiated as an official scorer in many first class cricket matches as well as almost all ODI matches played at the IPCL/ Reliance Cricket ground in Baroda. In all I have officiated as an official scorer in not less than 300 matches. I have been appointed a Sports Secretary of SBI in Baroda (2010 to 2012) I have been elected as one of the Umpires' committee of Baroda Cricket Association on 23.04.2012 Looking forward to take care of local umpires and will try to educate them. Recently I was privileged to conduct a 3-day cricket Umpires seminar on 7 to 9 September, 2012 along with Shri Sanjay Hazare, BCCI Elite panel cricket umpire. This was my first ever experience to conduct a seminar, which had almost 60 participants. I am thankful to the Baroda Cricket Association for giving me this opportunity. I have been honoured on many occasions with awards and certificates for my best umpiring. Recently on 13th February, 2014, I was invited as a Chief Guest by Amrut School in Halol, to celebrate the Annual Sports Day of their school.