Cricket/law 3.9 Suspention of play in dangerous and unreasonable conditions

Question
Respected Sir,

How umpire should handle the situation where light is deteriorating slowly? how umpire shall assess the improvement in light after suspending the play ?

thanks,
Mayur Wankhade

Answer
Dear Mayur,

Thanks for your question.

In cricket, light is very much important for fair play. Now a days, the agreement between the host and touring country are met with before the start of the tour, this includes, the use of flood lights.

When the umpires judge that the light is too poor to allow the game to continue in safety. Nowadays, automatic light meters indicate when the light level is acceptable for play at top level matches.

Umpires will now make all decisions regarding bad light without consulting the batsmen under amendments to the Laws of cricket that will take effect from October 1.
In practice that has been the procedure followed in recent times with the on-field officials setting a benchmark when they first leave for light, then ending play whenever the reading reaches that level without asking the batsmen whether they want to go. The Laws have been amended to ensure batsmen don't use light as a tactical advantage, such as taking the light after a loss of quick wickets.

When there is a suspension of play it is the responsibility of the umpires to monitor the conditions. They shall make inspections as often as appropriate, unaccompanied by any of the players or officials. Immediately the umpires together agree that conditions are suitable for play they shall call upon the players to resume the game.

Change in rules, Field umpires to decide bad light

Batsmen will no longer be able to ask for play to be suspended because of bad light in one of eight minor changes to the laws of cricket set to take effect from today.

The Marylebone Cricket Club, the custodian of the laws of the game, will now allow only on-field umpires the right to decide whether play can be halted because of darkness. This will eliminate the practice of batting sides stopping play for tactical reasons.

Hope at the moment it is enough to share with you on the subject. Later on I may like to share more on this subject.

Suhas Sapre (Baroda 25/05/2013)  

Cricket

Suhas L Sapre