Cricket/Law 42.15

QUESTION: Respected Sir,

This is from one of the recent IPL match.

The bowler Trivedi didn't deliver the ball assuming Dinesh Karthik is going to leave the crease for the run, his attempt was unsuccessful. By the time now Dinesh just come forward in his running stride and leave the crease, seeing this Trivedi now again try to shy at wickets ( another attempt) for run out.

Mr Shamshuddin would have called it dead ball as soon as after the first unsuccessful non-striker run-out attemp. but he didn't .

My question is does the second attempt really remain there after ?
i dont think so . May be an umpiring mistake . if umpire would have called it dead then Trivedi may not have think of second attempt.

kindly give your experience opinion in this.

Mayur Wankhade.

ANSWER: Dear Mayur,

Thanks for your question.

In fact the non striker should not leave the crease until the ball leaves the bowler's hand. Secondly when the bowler has completed his action, he should have delivered the ball. As soon as the action is completed, means in the delivery stride, he is assumed to have completed his action and ball has left the hand.

In my opinion the bowler does not get the chance, once he completes his action in the delivery stride, irrespective of the ball leaves his hand or not. The bowler's end umpire must call and signal 'dead ball'. I have not seen the action you have narrated.

The bowler's end umpire must remember these two points.
First the non striker should not leave the crease until the ball is delivered and secondly once the bowler's action is over in the delivery stride, he can not have chance to break the wicket.

Hope this is very much clear.

Thanks for your question again. With best wishes,

Suhas Sapre (Baroda 17/04/2013)

QUESTION: Respected Sir,

thanks for your answer.

Mayur Wankhade.

ANSWER: Dear Mayur,

Its nice of you to give comments to each of my answer. Its a vast topic and need lot of discussions and debate sometimes. Over a period of time, you will learn lot of things and keep abreast with the time. I am doing my utmost best to give off my best performance and to the best of my knowledge based on both theory and practical. Love to see your progress and hope you will do work hard with integrity and all respect for the game of cricket.

With regards,

Suhas Sapre (Baroda 19/04/2013)

QUESTION: Respected Sir ,

definitely sir ! i am listening to what you answer every time with utmost understanding and try to relate your words with my experience or try to keep some image in my mind with your words so that i can open that box when that scene will happen to me on field.

and I was successful in that . In one of the recent tournament i was able to use your experienced words/knowledge though those scenes happen with me first time but i was able to handle them fairly and according to law upto the mark.

And i personally believe that it was not only my effort but the combine effort of you and me. Thanks once again . In fact the way you respond to my questions every time , the word of thanks are small. The respect is still less for you. Hope some day i will achieve something special and that day will take your name to pay you back.

Mayur Wankhade.

Dear Mayur,

Thanks for such kind words and that your intention to pay off my debts. But I will feel proud only when you achieve your goal at the earliest and you earn your name like Simon Taufel. I do hope and I do have confidence that you will certainly succeed in reaching your destination.

With love and regards,

Suhas Sapre (Baroda 19/04/2013)

Suhas L Sapre

I can help to give all questions regarding cricket laws, rules on both umpiring and cricket scoring. It will be a great pleasure to help any candidate who wants to clear the exam of BCCI. I can guide him how the questions are asked and the way they should be replied. I can also conduct classes for Cricket umpiring and scoring anywhere. I look forward to educate and promote local umpires in the days to come. I would help them to get through BCCI Level 1 exam.

I have been a state panel cricket umpire and doing umpiring for last 40 years and also a BCCI official national scorer since 2004, having done many International ODIs played at Baroda and many first class matches in Baroda. I have passed many state panel exams in both categories.

I was serving with State Bank of India, as an Officer, posted at Bodeli branch, some 65 Kmts from Baroda, having taken promotion in August 2012. I was thereafter transferred to Pavi Jepur Br, some 90 kmts from Baroda on 20/12/2013. Recently I have taken VRS from Bank as after becoming an officer I was facing lot of problems regarding leave to attend BCCI matches as a scorer and also Local umpiring and thus hampering my sporting activities. Now to enable me to spare more time for my passion, I have opted for VRS and was relieved on 30/01/2016 and now will look forward to enjoy my passion in the remaining years.Look forward to remain busy with cricketing activities for next one decade and more.Look forward to help my cricket colleagues. Look forward to give off my best services to my passion, which has taught me many more things and now I feel I must contribute towards the local cricket association, i.e. Baroda Cricket Association with all love and enthusiasm in the coming years.I feel proud to take VRS for the sake of my passion. Its a great feeling that I have taken a bold decision in the wake of my passion which has given me enjoyment and physical fitness to enjoy the game of cricket in the the days to come. Now I feel myself as a free bird and no tension. Look forward to help budding umpires.

Earlier I used to write in local newspaper but thereafter time has not permitted me to do so. I give my views over the controversial topic.

I am a degree holder of Commerce and having a reputed banking job in Baroda. Recently due to some personal problems and to fulfil my love and passion for the game of cricket I have opted volunteer retirement from the Bank service to enable me to do BCCI matches as an Official scorer in first class matches. Taking promotion in Bank and expecting leave for the matches was a major problem and that is one of the reasons to quit bank ahead of cricket.

I have passed several examination of cricket umpiring at State levels. I passed Mumbai cricket Association as well as Baroda Cricket Associations state exams. I had also cleared national written test of BCCI, but unfortunately sheer bad luck in viva and practical. I have also stood first in the Scorers' state level examinations at Saurashtra, exam conducted by Saurashtra Cricket Association and also stood first in Mumbai Cricket Association's Scorers' exam. I further cleared the BCCI national exam in the year 1994 held at Ahmedabad. In all I have officiated as an Umpire in more than 3500 matches, including T20, ODI, 3-4-5/days matches, 6-aside, double wicket tournaments, single wicket tournaments, and many more festival events and charity matches. I have also officiated as an official scorer in many first class cricket matches as well as almost all ODI matches played at the IPCL/ Reliance Cricket ground in Baroda. In all I have officiated as an official scorer in not less than 300 matches. I have been appointed a Sports Secretary of SBI in Baroda (2010 to 2012) I have been elected as one of the Umpires' committee of Baroda Cricket Association on 23.04.2012 Looking forward to take care of local umpires and will try to educate them. Recently I was privileged to conduct a 3-day cricket Umpires seminar on 7 to 9 September, 2012 along with Shri Sanjay Hazare, BCCI Elite panel cricket umpire. This was my first ever experience to conduct a seminar, which had almost 60 participants. I am thankful to the Baroda Cricket Association for giving me this opportunity. I have been honoured on many occasions with awards and certificates for my best umpiring. Recently on 13th February, 2014, I was invited as a Chief Guest by Amrut School in Halol, to celebrate the Annual Sports Day of their school.