Cricket/LBW

Question
Respected Sir ,

Consider a scenario in which striker crouches down to sweep the ball and ball strikes first his bare elbow or any portion of hand upto the arm excluding  the glove worn on hand, which is holding the bat . this impact is infront of wickets and the ball is surely gonna hit the wicket.

does he is candidate for LBW ? does that hand holding the bat to which the ball strikes considered as a person ?

thanks,
Mayur Wankhade.

Answer
If the first contact is with the hand, glove or bat, then possible catch.

If it first strikes him anywhere else, then possible LBW.

MCC Laws - Appendix D contains definitions including:

"Person Ė a playerís person is his physical person (flesh and blood) together with any clothing or legitimate external protective equipment that he is wearing except, in the case of a batsman, his bat.

A hand, whether gloved or not, that is not holding the bat is part of the batsmanís person."

Law 6.8 defines Contact with the ball:
In these Laws,
(a) reference to the bat shall imply that the bat is held in the batsmanís hand or a glove worn on his hand, unless stated otherwise.
(b) contact between the ball and
either (i) the bat itself
or (ii) the batsmanís hand holding the bat
or (iii) any part of a glove worn on the batsmanís hand holding the bat
...
shall be regarded as the ball striking or touching the bat or being struck by the bat.

Cricket

Colin Pearson