Respected Sir ,

Consider a scenario in which striker crouches down to sweep the ball and ball strikes first his bare elbow or any portion of hand upto the arm excluding  the glove worn on hand, which is holding the bat . this impact is infront of wickets and the ball is surely gonna hit the wicket.

does he is candidate for LBW ? does that hand holding the bat to which the ball strikes considered as a person ?

Mayur Wankhade.

If the first contact is with the hand, glove or bat, then possible catch.

If it first strikes him anywhere else, then possible LBW.

MCC Laws - Appendix D contains definitions including:

"Person Ė a playerís person is his physical person (flesh and blood) together with any clothing or legitimate external protective equipment that he is wearing except, in the case of a batsman, his bat.

A hand, whether gloved or not, that is not holding the bat is part of the batsmanís person."

Law 6.8 defines Contact with the ball:
In these Laws,
(a) reference to the bat shall imply that the bat is held in the batsmanís hand or a glove worn on his hand, unless stated otherwise.
(b) contact between the ball and
either (i) the bat itself
or (ii) the batsmanís hand holding the bat
or (iii) any part of a glove worn on the batsmanís hand holding the bat
shall be regarded as the ball striking or touching the bat or being struck by the bat.

Colin Pearson

Cricket umpiring and scoring. I can answer questions on MCC Laws of Cricket but not ICC and other special regulations, which are frequently changing. I cannot answer questions on careers as a cricket umpiring. For details of courses, visit (anywhere that has advertised), (UK only)

I passed The Association of Cricket Umpires and Scorers Full membership examinations in 1961 and have been an instructor since 1973, and examiner since 1977 and have undergone the first stage training as an Umpire Assessor for ECB Association of Cricket Officials. I was Chairman of Training Board for ACU&S from 1981 to 1997.

ECB Association of Cricket Officials British Computer Society Society of Expert Witnesses Chartered Institute of Arbitrators Rotary International

MA Hons Cantab 1966 DMS Part 1, 1975 Enterprise Reader (rtd), Staffordshire University)

Taylor Scholarship 1963 Life Vice President ACU&S 1998