Cricket/Penalty Runs

If a batsman plays a shot and a fielder fields and when the ball by mistake touches the fielder's cap, How many runs will be given as penalty? 5 runs or 5+ the number of runs taken by the batsman.

Dear Vinayak,
         According To The ICC Rules When The Fielder Purposely Uses His Cap To Stop The Ball Then 5 Runs Penalty Is Awarded To The Batting Side But when In Touches The Cap Of The Fielder By Mistake No Runs Are Awarded To The Batting Side.

Get Back To Me If You Are Uncleared And Make Sure You Rate The Answer.

Sai Datta

All Types Of Questions On laws Of Cricket,Umpiring And Scoring.And Also Can Help You In Your Cricket Career.Queries Related To The Laws Of The Game.Anyone Feel Free To Ask Me,Always Available !

I Played Many First Class Matches Representing Hyderabad.I Am A First Class Umpire,I Have Been Working As A Umpire In The Hyderabad Cricket Association For The Past 23 Years.And Worked At Past As A Scorer For About 2 Years.

Hyderabad Cricket Association

I Have Done My Graduation From Loyola Degree College.And Not Opted For Higher Studies For The Love Of Cricket And To Pursue My Career In This Field.

I Have Been Awarded With The Senior Most Umpire And Many State Awards for My Umpiring And have Several Sets Of Them.Having The Best Domestic Umpire From The BCCI For 7 Years.